Cupcake, meet Cannoli.
What happens when you combine two of the tastiest treats into a single recipe? One delicious dessert! This chocolate chip cannoli cupcake recipe from the Food Network combines the tastes of the classic vanilla cupcake with the rich goodness of cannoli filling. To fully understand the scrumptiousness that results from the marriage of these flavors, you're gonna have to whip up a batch yourself. But rest easy because this recipe is easier than it sounds, and with these step-by-step instructions and pictures, it should be a piece of cake... literally!
To get things started, you'll need to take a look at the ingredients list and gather all the items already residing in your kitchen. Then, if there are still some ingredients lacking, take a trip to the grocery store to pick up these items. A great thing about this recipe is that much of the ingredients are pretty basic, so you shouldn't have to shop for too much. The only items that I had to pick up were the ricotta cheese, heavy whipping cream and the mini chocolate chips.
With that said, here is a list of all the ingredients that you will need for this recipe:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
Chocolate Chip Cannoli Cream:
- 16 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips, for garnishing
Begin by preheating the oven to 350o and lining cupcake pans with paper liners. This recipe is supposed to make 24 cupcakes, but I somehow squeezed out 27. Either way, be prepared for a couple of batches. This is a three step process, but it's all very quick easy because you can prepare the cannoli cream filling and the whipped cream while the cupcakes are baking in the oven.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the eggs and sugar until light in color and fluffy.
- Add the oil and vanilla, mixing until incorporated.
4. Add the sour cream, again mixing until just incorporated.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, and mix until just blended.
6. Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full with batter (over-filling will cause the cupcake to rise up over the edge).
7. Bake 18-22 minutes until golden brown.
8. Allow to cool completely.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl.
- Beat with electric mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Combine cream and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Beat with electric mixer until the cream is whipped.
- Save the chocolate chips for later to sprinkle on the finished cupcakes.
- Using a small knife, cut in a circular pattern into top of the cupcake. Start out wide and taper down to an angle as you reach the bottom of the cupcake, making sure that you do not cut all the way through the bottom.
- Remove the inside of the cupcake, careful to keep the top intact.
3. Use a spoon to fill the inside of the cupcake with cannoli cream.
4. Place the top of the cupcake back on to cover up the hole.
5. Top with a healthy serving of whipped cream and garnish with mini chocolate chips.
*Cupcakes should be cooled completely before applying the whipped cream because the cream will melt if the cupcakes are still too warm.
- Remove liner from cupcake.
- Take a big bite.
- Continue to eat cupcake until it disappears.
- Share with friends.... or don't. :)
No comments yet.