Dairy Free Chocolate Cake
Maintaining a dairy free diet can be hard for someone who loves desserts. Cakes contain milks and butters, so a traditional chocolate cake can be out of the question.
But, where there is traditional, there is alternative. And, when it comes to baking the age old favorite chocolate cake, all you need are a few alternate ingredients for the same traditional taste. The best part is that you don't have to go to obscure food markets to find these ingredient. You should be able to find them at a local grocery store.
Using dairy free chocolate chips or cocoa powder in a cake will create a flavor that's just as good as "real" chocolate, and you may find that dairy lovers will enjoy this dairy free chocolate cake recipe just the same.
- 2 ¾ cups white flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups dairy-free shortening
- 2 ½ cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup rice or almond milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil two 8” round cake pans and dust with cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Use an electric hand mixer or a tabletop mixer to mix the shortening and sugar on high until fluffy (about 4 minutes).
- Add one egg at a time, beating well in-between each.
- Add the rice milk or almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet and mix well.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- When cool, level the tops of the cakes with a serrated knife. Place one cake bottom-side down, spread frosting on the top. Then top with the second cake bottom-side up. Frost the top and sides of the cake.
Dairy Free Fudge Frosting
Chocolate cake just isn't the same with a strawberry or vanilla frosting. So, for a real chocolate cake, use a rich chocolate frosting. For an easy dairy-free chocolate frosting, try this recipe.
- 1 cup semi-sweet dairy-free chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- ¼ cup coconut or almond milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- In a small saucepan, mix together all ingredients over medium-low heat. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Let the pan sit until it's cool enough to place in the refrigerator for about 10-20 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge, mix and frost.
Tip: If you leave the frosting in the fridge for too long, it'll be too firm to easily spread on the cake. Slowly heat it on a low temperature until it's soft enough to spread.
More by this Author
Make homemade gluten free cupcakes or a cake with this tastey white birthday cake recipe. You'll find it's not only fluffy but flavorful.
Quickly make dairy-free fudge that everyone will love. This 10 minute fudge recipe can be enjoyed plain or enhanced with your favorite toppings.
An awesome-looking tattoo can unfortunately turn into a big infected mess. Read on to learn the symptoms of infection and how to treat it.