A Review of the DeLonghi Gelato Maker
The DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker
DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker
The DeLonghi gelato maker is one of my preferred gelato makers for two major reasons: materials and price. Unlike other gelato makers, the DeLonghi doesn't mess around with plastic but offers a stainless steel interior bowl. This is important to me because plastic bowls will crack with time, especially when subjected to low temperatures. Likewise, for its sturdiness, size and overall quality, the machine is very affordable; I've personally watched this line of gelato makers go from being over $600 MSRP to their current price of about $240 on Amazon.
In spite of its affordable price, the DeLonghi is a wonderful machine that not only stirs the gelato, but also freezes and stores it until you are ready to serve it. This is important because, in most cases, your home freezer is really not set to the optimal gelato serving temperature of 5-10 degrees Fahrenheit (or -15 Celsius to -12 Celsius). In fact, most home freezers are way too cold at their preset temperature of 0 F. This low temperature turns the gelato into a solid mass of ice that is difficult to scoop up.
DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker Features
The DeLonghi Gelato Maker has some wonderful key features, including:
- A built-in compressor freezer. Similar gelato makers do not include a built-in freezer, forcing you to freeze the mixing bowl ahead of time (up to 24 hours). This prevents you from making gelato "on-the-spot" an also uses up valuable space in your freezer.
- 35 lb weight. The DeLonghi weighs only 35 pounds, which is amazing considering that it includes an internal freezer and motor.
- Alarm and automatic shut-off. An alarm alerts you when your gelato is finished. After a certain point in time, if you do not open the lid on the machine, it automatically turns off to prevent internal damage.
- 30 minute churn time. Just 30 minutes are required to churn out and make gelato.
- Airtight and transparent lid. The process of gelato-making requires that only a small percentage of air be mixed into the frozen product. As such, an airtight lid is essential. Also, melting and oxidation of the gelato occurs when it is continually exposed to the outside. Luckily, the DeLonghi has a transparent and airtight lid which seals off the contents of its bowl. This maintains proper gelato temperature, moisture, and air content.
- Recipe book. An included recipe book helps you create many different gelati and sorbetti.
- Eco-friendly refrigerant. This gelato machine's compressor is filled with an R134a refrigerant, which is much more eco-friendly than freon.
- Large paddle. The DeLonghi has a large plastic paddle that mixes gelato ingredients completely and quickly.
- Large bowl. There is a 1.25 quart stainless steel bowl inside, allowing you to make a lot of gelato at one time.
- Removeable bowl. Some gelato makers do not allow you to remove their mixing bowls, causing a real hassle with cleaning. The bowl on the DeLonghi is removeable, and so is its paddle.
- Dishwasher-safe. The lid, bowl and paddle can all be washed in a dishwasher.
- Low noise. The noise level is rather low, or about the equivalent of a low speed mixer.
The only disadvantages to having the DeLonghi gelato maker is that some folks do not view a 1.25 quart capacity bowl as being big enough for some families or family functions. Also, while technically it only takes 30 minutes to make a full batch of gelato with this gelato machine, the final product is sometimes a bit runny. This is especially true if you are making a low-sugar gelato. In some cases, it does become necessary to freeze the gelato another half hour before serving it.
Another issue with this gelato machine is that its alarm does not sound loudly enough to be heard over the usual noise level. This leads to the machine shutting itself off and allowing your newly made gelato to melt.
Some folks have also complained about the plastic paddle breaking; luckily, the DeLonghi company does offer spare parts like paddles on order.
More information about the DeLonghi Gelato Maker and Gelato
More by this Author
Gelato makers are composed of three basic parts: the freezer, the bowl and the paddle. These three parts are used to make every kind of gelato, sorbetto, or even granita dessert imaginable. Prices of gelato makers vary...
Mauviel Copper Cookware doesn't come cheap but it's certainly worth the extra money. This cookware is solid, durable and beautiful. It heats up and cools down quickly. The stainless steel that lines the cookware is...
Fruit fasting benefits your body, mind and spirit. It also detoxifies your body and gives you a new outlook on life. Here is my 30-day fruit fast chronical, currently in progress.