Delicious Bok Choy Recipes
What is Bok Choy?
Bok Choy is known as Chinese cabbage and it is a leaf vegetable that is used in many Chinese/Asian dishes. There are different types of Bok Choy and each one can be eaten raw, though it is best to place it in hot boiled water for a few minutes before eating.
Bok Choy is a healthy vegetable to eat, and there are many delicious dishes that can be created using it. Here I will share some of my own recipes that you will hopefully enjoy. The dishes are healthy, easy to make, and do not take up a lot of time, which in today's world is a huge advantage.
Bok Choy Salad Recipe
- bunches of bok choy
- 1 fresh apple
- 1 small onion
- dried cranberries
- grape seed oil or olive oil
- roasted sesame seeds
Step 1: Take bunches of bok choy and wash them with water. Washing the entire bunch might leave unwanted sand and dirt that will not wash off, so it is best to take each bunch and take the leafs apart before washing.
Step 2: Place the washed bok choy leafs into a bowl, pour boiled water (from a kettle) into the bowl so the leafs are covered, cover the bowl with a lid and let sit for a few minutes.
Step 3: Drain the bowl with bok choy to remove all of the water, and cut the bok choy leafs into slices.
Step 4: Wash a fresh apple, peel it, cut into small cubes,
Step 5: Cut a small onion into thin slices
Step 6: Cut salami into thin strips
Step 7: Add the cut bok choy, apple, onion, and salami into a salad bowl.
Step 8: Add dried cranberries to the salad bowl, sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds, a pinch of salt, and a bit of grape seed oil or olive oil. Then stir all the ingredients in the salad bowl and enjoy.
You can always add other ingredients to the bok choy salad. Some of these include:
- Mushrooms - you can add fried mushrooms such as shitake or Portobello. You can also add enoki mushrooms. These have a mild flavor and can be eaten raw, but they are not soft so you may want to hold them in boiled water for a few minutes to make them softer. Simply place the washed and separated enoki mushrooms into a bowl and pour boiled water over it. Cover with a lid and let stay for a few minutes. Then drain cut into smaller pieces and place into the salad. Another option is to cook them in a skillet for a few minutes. I prefer the boiled water method since the salad already has oil in it and cooking in a skillet requires the use of more oil, which may not be the healthiest choice.
- Avocado and mango - these two fruits go great with the bok choy salad. Simply wash and peel both fruits and cut into cubes before adding to the salad.
- Red radish and carrots - these vegetables complement the bok choy salad well and I love using them. When I use red radishes in this salad I often substitute the onion with a few stalks of green scallion since red radishes and scallions go great together.
Since you can think of bok choy as being similar to lettuce you can use any ingredients you use in a lettuce salad but simply replace the lettuce with the bok choy, which is a healthier option. The salad will still taste delicious. Maybe even better than with the lettuce.
Sautéed Bok Choy with Mushrooms Recipe
- bunches of bok choy
- package of shitake mushrooms
- small onion
- sesame seed teriyaki sauce
- canola oil
- dried parsley flakes
Step 1: Take out the shitake mushrooms from the package, wash them well, and cut into strips.
Step 2: Add canola oil to a skillet and add the shitake mushrooms. Let them cook ten minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
Step 3: Take bunches of bok choy and wash them with water. Washing the entire bunch might leave unwanted sand and dirt that will not wash off, so it is best to take each bunch and take the leafs apart before washing.
Step 4: Cut the bok choy leafs and one small onion into slices and add to the skillet with the mushrooms, after the mushrooms have cooked for about ten minutes. Add a pinch of salt and dried parsley flakes, stir and let cook for a few minutes.
Step 5: Add a few table spoons of sesame seed teriyaki sauce and let cook for a few minutes, stirring the contents.
Step 6: Remove from heat and enjoy with your favorite bread.
This dish is great eaten on its own but it is also great when paired with mashed potatoes, meat, or fish. Great with pasta too.
Which do you prefer - lettuce or bok choy?See results without voting
© 2010 Lena Kovadlo
More by this Author
Try this delicious carrot salad with raisins recipe along with the tri-color carrot salad recipe. Both take under ten minutes to make and use only a few ingredients.
Instead of stuffing yourself with a slice of pizza try a salami and tomato sandwich with melted cheese on rye bread. One sandwich recipe you are sure to love.
Here is a list of useful Microsoft Word shortcuts that will save you valuable time and are easy to use. Save this list for future reference. It will come in handy.