Delicious Cheddar Chowder Recipe
Nothing hits the spot on a chilly evening better than a big bowl of rich and creamy cheddar chowder. You'll be pleasantly surprised to find out just how simple it can be to create your own cheddar chowder from scratch, with ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and refrigerator.
This soup is rich enough to be a main dish, but you can also choose to use at is a first course. It's elegant enough to serve at a dinner party and comforting enough to be the perfect dinner when you're feeling under the weather or are simply craving comfort food.
Cheddar Chowder Recipe
What You'll Need:
- 2 cups of water
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 2 fresh carrots
- 1 stalk of celery (not the whole bunch; literally one stem - unless you really like the flavor of celery)
- 1 small red, white, or yellow onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 2 cups of 2% or whole milk
- 2 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of cubed ham
1. Make the Broth
- Scrub the potatoes and cut into small pieces (dice them).
- Slice the carrots and the celery stalk
- Peel and chop the onion
- Place the vegetables in a large stock pot
- Add water, salt, and pepper
- Bring to a boil and continue boiling over high heat for ten minutes
2. Make a White Sauce
- While the broth is boiling, heat a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Melt the butter in the sauce pan.
- Gradually add the flour, stirring until smooth (which will only take about one minute or so)
- Add the milk
- Cook until the mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally
- Once the sauce starts to thicken, add the cheese to the mixture
- Stir slowly until the cheese melts
3. Putting It All Together
- Add the white sauce to the stock pot with the vegetable broth.
- Pour the ham into the stock pot
- Stir until blended
- Allow to simmer over low heat until everything is heated through.
- Ladle into soup bowls, and you're ready to serve!
- Serve with a side of freshly baked, buttered corn bread for a delicious dinner.
- This cheddar chowder recipe also tastes great sprinkled with fresh soup and oyster crackers.
- Try topping your soup with bacon bits for a real treat!
- Stir fresh or frozen broccoli into the broth when you add the celery and carrots if you'd like to enjoy a broccoli cheddar chowder.
More by this Author
Are you looking for a great place to enjoy a leisurely Sunday brunch in Mobile, AL. There are many great places where you can enjoy a wonderful weekend brunch meal all over town. 4 Favorite Restaurants for Sunday...