Delicious, Easy & Healthy Lentils
Easy Lentils Served Over Rice and Topped with Organic Tomatoes
Also by this Author...
Various Types of Lentils
Lentils with Carrots and Collard Greens
Lentils with Curry and Sprouts
Herb Lentils with Spinach
My Husband and I Love Lentils.
It is by far our favorite legume. Despite being carnivores, we like to go vegetarian 3-4 times a week. This is not just a health choice, but also a taste choice since we love vegetables and grains. On those days, I tend to make quinoa, roasted vegetables, no-meat pasta dishes (like vegetarian lasagna) or lentils.
A few interesting facts about lentils:
Lentils have been a staple in the human diet for about 10,000 years.
Lentils are PACKED with nutrients, providing excellent amounts of six important minerals, two B-vitamins, and protein—all with virtually no fat.
Lentils lower bad cholesterol, control blood sugar, contain high fiber.
I always add carrots to my lentils because they help make them more digestible and adds a nice flavor. The following recipe is for vegetarian lentils, but you can also add some ham, or even make the broth with the bone, if you'd like. I have done that, too, and it comes out very tasty.
MY EASY LENTILS
* 1 package dried lentils (approx. scant 2 c), which have been soaking in water overnight. NOTE: when you place the dried lentils in a large bowl, be sure to add plenty of water because they will absorb liquid and plump up a bit.
3-4 carrots- sliced
1 onion- chopped
3 cloves garlic- chopped
1 bay leaf
1 bullion cube (beef or vegetable)
salt and pepper- to personal taste
1. In a medium sized pot, sauté onions, garlic and carrots in a generous amount of olive oil for about 5 minutes.
2. Add lentils and sauté for another minute. Cover lentils completely with water and add the bullion cube and bay leaf. Place the cover on the pot and lower heat. Allow to simmer until the water is absorbed.
3. Add more water if the lentils are still hard (completely cover them) and continue simmering, checking and stirring occasionally.
4. Add salt and pepper when lentils are almost done- not before. When they are soft, turn off heat and allow lentils to sit in the covered pot for about 20 minutes before serving.
Of course, there are MANY ways to prepare this amazing legume- my recipe is very basic and easy and I like to serve my lentils over rice. Sometimes I add lots of curry, or perhaps some fresh chopped tomatoes on top of the lentils once they're on the plate, or even with crisped sausages on the side. I have added some mouth-watering photos that I found on the internet and provided their sources (websites) so that you can try different recipes. As always, thank you for reading!
C. De Melo
Author & Artist
More by this Author
Cheap eats inside the famous Mercato Centrale of Florence.
Easy, delicious, and filling pasta dish that you can whip up quickly.
pinkofperfection.com I love to entertain and have some wonderful tips to make sure that your dinner party, cocktail party, or any kind of party you throw is a SUCCESS! There is nothing worse than being invited to...