Delicious and Durable Corn Tortillas
Anyone who has eaten a taco in a corn tortilla shell knows that the likelihood of your taco busting open and spilling all over the place is pretty darn good. Many Mexican restaurants use two shells to strengthen the taco and keep it from breaking. It rarely works! This double layered taco will end up breaking and turning it into a taco salad.
Not many people know that this weak and flimsy taco shell can turn into a power house for taco ingredients. It only takes a few minutes to do and will strengthen your taco, make it crunchy and add lots and lots of flavor.
What you will need
You will need the following items to complete this recipe
- stove top with burners
- medium or large frying pan
- white or yellow corn tortillas (any brand)
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- a lime
- corn meal
Cooking the Tortillas
- Turn the stove's burner to high and let frying pan heat up.
- Take the cooking spray and spray the pan lightly.
- Spray one side of the tortilla and place pan, sprayed side down. Rub the tortilla into the pan to allow the cooking spray to absorb. (Be Careful not to burn yourself on the pan. The best way to make these is with your hands as the tool).
- Leave in pan for one minute and then spray the top side of the tortilla and flip. Again leaving on for one minute.
- Flip the tortilla and squeeze a bit of lime juice onto it, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and a bit of fresh chopped cilantro. Then flip.
- Let the ingredients cook into the shell for about a minute and repeat on the other side. (The shell will start to get hard and firm during these stages.)
- Continue to flip and re-flip the tortilla to allow an even cook and firming.
- Before removing add a pinch of corn meal to each side.
- Remove from pan and let cool on plate.
Multiple shells can be done in one pan or the process can be repeated.
The shells will be golden brown, crunchy and be able to hold lots of ingredients without breaking! The shells are extremely strong and can even be bent in half without breaking. So add your favorite ingredients and don't worry about them falling on your plate anymore with corn tortillas. Enjoy!
More by this Author
The 90's was a great period for classic indie rock. Many bands paved the way for some of the bands today. Unfortunately, there are some bands that didn't last, or broke up too early.
- 11How Herbs Can Help Protect, Strengthen and Rebuild Your Liver Which Also Lower ALT - AST Levels Naturally.
Liver problems in humans are very common throughout the world. The liver is one of the only organs that can heal itself. There are many herbs and supplements that can help accelerate this healing process and prevent...