Delicious fresh tomato cilantro salsa recipe.
This great salsa recipe tastes fantastic. It's fresh; spicy and sour, and will compliment everything from burritos, to tortilla chips, even scrambled eggs!
There are only a few ingredients, and they are mixed to balance the flavors, without losing the fresh goodness of each. If your tomato tastes great, you don't want to hide that taste. A recipe like this requires you as the cook to taste the food as you're making it. No two tomatoes will taste exactly alike, so you've got to taste the salsa and adjust the balance accordingly.
Delicious fresh tomato-cilantro salsa
- 1 big ripe juicy tomato, or two medium, or three small.
- About 2 tablespoons of finely chopped white onion.
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped cilantro. Some people hate cilantro and others love it; feel free to leave it out if you'd prefer.
- A little bit of chopped fresh chile. If you like it spicy, use any hot fresh chile that you have. It's hard to tell you how much to use, as chiles vary a lot. Add a little and taste, if you want it spicier, add more.
- 1/4 of a lime. The smaller key limes have a better flavor.
- Chop the tomato and add it--juice skin and all--to a mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped onion, chile and cilantro.
- Squeeze your lime quarter into the mixture.
- Add a pinch of salt and taste, you probably need to add another pinch, but that depends on the size of your pinch!
This salsa is all about balance, so taste it and think about whether the sour and the spicy and the savory are all in balance. You can add more lime juice, salt or chile to harmonize the flavors.
That's it. This salsa tastes really fresh and clean, and will be a revelation if you're used to stodgy store bought salsa from a jar.
More Mexican Cooking
- Make your own chipotles. BBQ smoke your own spicy an...
A great way to preserve a bumper crop of backyard hot peppers is to cold smoke them and either dry them completely, or roast them and peel off the skins prior to freezing them. Ripe red jalapenos are...
- Chipotle Chicken and Sweet Potato Flautas Recipe
Chipotle sweet potato and chicken flautas - and easy, spicy and authentic Mexican meal that you can make in minutes!
- Grilled chicken quesadilla recipe. The classic Tex M...
Firstly, let me qualify this recipeit is not an authentic Mexican recipe, more a north of the border classic; but it's very tasty, very quick, and always pleases everyone at the tablewhat's...
- Mexican sauteed shrimp in a spicy fresh tomato and g...
This easy saut
- How to Make Queso Fundido. An Appetizer of Mexican M...
A glorious Mexican melted cheese appetizer! Queso fundido is a restaurant staple that you can and should make at home. Easy instructions and tips.
Comments 9 comments
- E-Gullet salsa discussion.
Lots of great salsa talk from one of the best cooking sites on the internet.
More by this Author
Frijoles refritos - the beany soul of the Mexican kitchen, something that is so often served as a bland afterthought - but that when made well can well and truly steal the show! You can use either pinto beans or...
Crunchy Chimichangas are fantastic. Take that restaurant favorite home with this easy recipe and intructions for chicken chimichangas.
Before the invention of oil thermometers, cooks figured out simple ways to check oil temperature for safe deep frying. Now those secret tricks can be yours!