Delicious taco recipe. It's easy to make your own taco meat.
Everybody loves tacos!
Most of us have made tacos. Brown the beef, add that little package of seasoning, chop the lettuce, grate the cheese and you're done!
These are fine, but to truly know a great taco, an "old El Paso" seasoning package isn't going to cut it.
It's really easy to make your own taco meat, and you can make a large batch up and stick the extra in the freezer for future effortless weekday meals.
This taco mix is actually a recipe for the Mexican sausage chorizo, but I serve it as a taco filling in my restaurant, and people love it. I think people are intimidated by thought of making their own fresh sausage. It sounds like something that will be really difficult; but is actually as easy as mixing up a meatloaf!
You'll also save money by making your own!
Taco meat (chorizo) recipe
- 2lbs of ground pork
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbls sugar
- 1Tbls salt
- 2 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbls hot dried chile flakes
- 2 Tbls sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander.
- Mix all the ingredients up, and you now have chorizo sausage.
- This really works great as a taco filling, and will delight any family accustomed to taco seasoning-mix tacos.
- The chorizo is ready to go as soon as it is well mixed, but will improve for about 12 hours in the fridge. Portion up any excess and freeze for your next weekday meal. It's really worth it to make extra, and the recipe can be multiplied easily.
- Fry the chorizo as you would fry ground beef for tacos.
All it takes is a few minutes of your time to make your own delicious taco meat.
This chorizo sausage also goes great with eggs. Try a chorizo and onion frittata for a great Mexican inspired brunch.
- El Restaurante Mexicano | Recipe Index
Featured recipes from El Restaurante Mexicano, your source for Latin foodservice trends.
- Make your own Italian sausage. This recipe is so easy!
Making your own fresh Italian sausage is seriously easy. If you can make meatballs or meatloaf...then you can make your own Italian sausage. Your homemade Italian sausage will beat supermarket sausages...
More by this Author
Frijoles refritos - the beany soul of the Mexican kitchen, something that is so often served as a bland afterthought - but that when made well can well and truly steal the show! You can use either pinto beans or...
Homemade hot sauce is a common sight on dinner tables and restaurants across Mexico. It's easy to make your own, and you'll love the fresh taste of your own homemade hot sauce. This recipe makes use of a really...
Before the invention of oil thermometers, cooks figured out simple ways to check oil temperature for safe deep frying. Now those secret tricks can be yours!