Delicious Egg-Free Spinach Quiche
Allergy to eggs brings me to Tofu
I'm allergic to eggs and this can make things really difficult at breakfast time. We like to go out to breakfast every once in a while, and well it's breakfast, so of course the whole menu will be eggs. I remember the first time I was really tempted to try quiche. I was at a local cafe ordering up a super shot expresso mixed with a pound of sugar drink to get me through the afternoon, and I saw this lovely spinach pie. One of my favorite pastries is a spinach and feta pocket, and this just looked divine. I asked what was in quiche and to my dismay, it was packed with eggs. I left with my drink, and a jealous feeling of those who could eat the amazing spinach pie.
Egg Free Tofu and Spinach Quiche
Cooking things from the pantry - not from a box
I recently decided to start making my own product, canning them for later use, and cooking more things from the pantry – not from a box. Along with this came a lot of research, and I reinstated my love for Tofu amidst the chaos. Now I must admit, I was surprised to see tofu being used as an alternative to eggs. I never really did all that much research on food until we made this preservative free lifestyle change. I searched for quiche recipes and although a lot of them sounded great, I just didn't have the ingredients or did like a few ingredients or I just really wanted to add dill. (I love dill weed!) So below is my interpretation of an egg-free spinach quiche, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1Tablespoon Sea Salt
- ½ Tablespoon Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Dill Weed
- ½ teaspoon Marjoram
- ½ teaspoon Celery Salt
- ¼ Cup Cashews Chopped
- ¼ -1/3 Cup Flour
- 1 9” Pie Crust at room temperature
- I bag of frozen spinach (16oz)
- 1Tablespoon Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Lb Extra Firm Tofu
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line 9” pie pan with the crust
- On medium heat add onion, garlic and olive oil and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until completely wilted.
- Drain any excess liquid and set aside
- Drain any extra liquid from the tofu before putting it in a bowl – rough chop it with a fork.
- Add the sea salt, pepper, dill weed, marjoram, celery salt, cashews and flour and mix until it is crumbled and the herbs and spices are evenly distributed
- Add tofu mixture to the spinach and fold in until it is completely mixed
- Put the mixture into the pie crust
- Top with sprinkled parmesan cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until you start to see the tofu start to brown on the top
- Let set for about 5 minutes and then enjoy!
- I like to eat this with a big bowl of homemade apple sauce. All by mistake I somehow got apple sauce on a bite of quiche – and it was scrumptious. So I now dip every bite in apple sauce for a little different flavor.
Other Great Recipes
A hearty soup that is made with tons of Ginger, favorite vegetables and hearty lentils. A favorite in my house durning the winter, or even just on damp rainy days. It freezes really well, so you can make a big batch and take some out to heat up whenever you want.
This is a quick meal, or even a side dish that everyone will love. The essence of ginger with spinach is one of my favorite, and served over hearty brown rices will fill hungry bellies. This is a great recipe for busy week nights or even leftovers for lunch the next day.
Mixing vegetables and fruit is always a fun way to make meals, and adding ginger just makes it that much better. This is a nice hearty meal that tastes amazing and fills you up. The crisp apples against the flavorful spinach with pops of ginger is hard for anyone to resist.
More by this Author
You will get a burst of flavor from this healthy and hearty lentil soup with a nice essence of ginger. A vegetarian recipe that will be a family favorite at the first bite, and very quick and easy. A great soup for...
This out of the box recipe for Spinach and dill tofu tacos is amazing. The tofu soaks up all of the flavors of the seasoning and creates a wonderfully unique pop of taste. Fun to eat, healthy and a great weekday...
This article is a step by step process on how to create interactive PDF forms using Adobe Acrobat. These forms are great for saving paper, time management, and regulating the information that is necessary. This is also...
No comments yet.