Dessert,Flan With Dulce De Leche
Flan with Dulce de Leche Uruguay
As an introduction to this hub I must say that while Flan is a staple dessert in many countries from Spain to Latin America , the Uruguayan version is in my opinion and in the opinion of many people even from neighboring countries like Argentina and Brazil the ultimate Flan specially when paired with what is considered the best dulce de leche ,which is also made in Uruguay.
A traditional uruguayan dessert.
Flan with dulce de leche.(Vanilla custard with dulce de leche)
- One quart Milk
- Six Eggs
- Six Egg yolks only
- Two teaspoons Vanilla extract
- One lb. Dulce de leche
- One lb. Sugar
Vanilla custard with dulce de leche.
- First thing you should do is take the container you see in the picture, and in the large one for a family flan, put one cup of sugar, or for the small one for individual flan put two tablespoons of sugar, place on the stove on medium to low fire and once it starts to turn light brown take of the fire and try to spread it so it covers all the inside of the container by moving it around since the sugar is liquid now, if you need you can reheat it so it remains liquid and keep rotating it until all the inside is covered. Put it to the side so it cools off and the caramel hardens.Then in a bowl put six whole eggs plus six yolks only and mix well, add two teaspoons of vanilla extract and 1 1/2 cups of sugar ,mix well and add one quart of milk,mix again and pour everything in the container that by now should be cool and have an interior wall of hard caramel.
- Put in the oven at about 375 degrees and cook for about one hour fifteen minutes until the top looks light brown and when you introduce a clean dry knife it comes out clean.When it's done remove from oven let it cool off and put in refrigerator until it's cold,once it's cold turn it upside down on a large dish at least one inch deep.When ready to serve cut in slices about two inches wide place on a dessert plate baste with a tablespoon of the juice that surrounds it and.......
- Place three full tablespoons of dulce de leche around it. If you can find it use Dulce de leche Lapataia brand,if you can't find it use any uruguayan dulce de leche, if you can't find that try to find a good argentinian dulce de leche,if that is not possible Nestle, makes a pretty good dulce de leche that you can find in the spanish food section of any major supermarket.
- If you make the individual flans they will cook faster, and the presentation is nicer but it takes a little more work.
How to make Dulce De Leche
If you can't find good quality Dulce De Leche at your local supermarket or grocery store you can make it yourself.Put to boil three quarts of milk and two lbs. of sugar.When it boils lower the fire to the minimum and add one teaspoon of baking powder or sodium bicarbonate. Let it cook stirring occasionally between one and two hours until it thickens and turns a light brown color.Some people use the trick of putting in some large playing marbles that will stir it the whole time.
More by this Author
Make A Perfect Steak Dinner.A Recipe From The World Capital of Beef.
Main and side dishes with rice, cheap easy and delicious.Cooking rice,simple delicious cheap recipes with rice.
Best Hot water heaters are made in USA.Proof that good manufacturing jobs and premium quality products are possible.bradford white hot water heaters