Different Kinds of Stock - Make Great Soups and Sauces
Simple Basic Vegetable Stock
* Stocks are a key ingredient in many different soups, stews, and sauces. You can buy stock but nothing compares to the homemade variety.
* The basic characteristics to look for in a good stock are of course flavor, but also "body" and clarity. If you had to choose one, you of course would want the flavor to stand out.
* Compared to many other kinds of cooking, the more mature the animal or vegetable being used, the better. When cooked slowly and for a long time, you will get the best flavor.
* Many stock purists like to use fish stocks in fish soups and stews, and beef stocks in beef soups and sauces.
* Most vegetable and chicken stocks are the easiest of the stocks to prepare, and can be substituted for other stocks as needed.
* To get the most flavorful stock, use just enough water to cover the bones, vegetables or shells. You can use more as needed if evaporation removes too much. (Level going below the ingredients.)
* Follow your stock recipes for the most ideal ratio of liquid to solids. The main key being to keep the solids covered while cooking.
* The time it will take to cook your stock will be determined on how long it takes to extract the full flavor from your ingredients. If you cook things too long, you can get a bitter taste that can be unpleasant.
Below, I share some different stocks, as well as a video on making vegetable stock that takes about a half hour. Using stocks more can be both healthy and economical for you and your family.
Different kinds of stock for your cooking needs
There is a vast array of stocks out there. Here is a list of several different stocks that you might find useful in your cooking.
Brown Veal Stock
White Crab Stock
Turkey Bone Stock
White Chicken Stock
Basic Brown Stock
Turkey Giblet Stock
More by this Author
Taos Pueblo in New Mexico where we saw clay ovens in use. You can see one in the far right hand corner. I saw some really neat clay ovens that the people of Taos still use in New Mexico. They make wonderful bread. ...
Spring loaded kitchen tongs When it comes to kitchen utensils, one of the most used in our kitchen is the kitchen tongs. Last Christmas, when I asked my husband what he wanted for Christmas, he said, "I want a...
Sending a card or note to someone that is not feeling well can mean more than you know. If you have ever received a card at a time like that, then you know first hand. These messages and verses are meant to be an...
No comments yet.