Dresden Stollen Recipe
This traditional german cake is enjoyed during the winter holidays in Germany. Although the United States seems to have some type of grudge against fruit cakes, this is a surprisingly delicious dessert. There is an actual Dresden Stollen festival that takes place in dresden every year. Although it does take quite some effort and time to make this cake; I feel that is rewarded with a deep sense of accomplishment once you're eating it !
- 2 1/4 lbs flour
- 2 1/2 oz yeast
- 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cloves, ground
- 1 tsp. almond, flavoring
- 1 lb. butter, or margerine, melted
- 1/2 almonds, chopped
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 5 oz. citron, chopped
- 5 oz. candied orange peel, chopped
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm milk, 1/2 tbsp sugar, and 1/3 a cup of flour. Let rest for 15 min.
- Sift the rest of the flower into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center
- Place the yeast mixture into the well and EXTREMELY gradually blend the flour,sugar,flavorings,butter,milk, and chopped almonds together. Knead until smooth.
- Wash and dry raisins and currants,then add them to the mix. Toss in the flour at this point as well. Next add citron and the orange peel, making sure to knead thoroughly.
- Cover the dough and let rise for 30 min.
- Push down and knead thoroughly again. Cover and let rise for another 45 minutes.
- Flour a wooden board and roll dough till its 2/4 inch thick
- Form dough by hand to look like a giant parker house roll,but not to flat.
- Place onto a greased cookie sheet and let rise for 20 more minutes
- Bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven.
- While still hot, baste top with melted butter and immediately sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Must leave cake to rest for at least 2-3 days before cutting
More by this Author
Easy, step by step guide on making beautiful beaded window curtains
As a man who has overcome "Moobs" personally; a man that has experienced the severe psychological and physical destruction that gynecomastia can cause. I would like to attempt to both enlighten the ignorant...