Drink Recipes - The Kermit Special Cocktail
The Kermit Special Cocktail is a really refreshing drink to have on a hot day. There are two or more versions you can make all depending on whether you prefer it with alcohol or without. The Kermit Special Cocktail actually has an interesting history, and is in fact connected to me and a few friends. Back in the 70s a group of us frequented the local pubs and one night we wanted something different.
So telling the barman to mix us up a fruity alcoholic drink, something green as it was a theme night, he made us the drink and we asked him what it was called. He said it didn't have a name, so we could choose one. We all agreed that it should be called the Kermit Special. Since then it has passed from pub to pub and now its quite well known. I am sure other people came up with the name too, but we always claim it as our own.
The great thing about the Kermit Special Cocktail is that you don't have to stick to one recipe. It is entirely up to you whether you use lime, or even blue Curacao liquer. The blue is an added food colorant. In fact it is colorless in its natural form, or an orange rust colored appearance when it is aged or in Cognac form. Adding lime will turn it a dark green.
Prep Time 5 Mins
Yields 2 Tall Glasses
- 4 fluid ounces Vodka
- 12 fluid ounces Lime Juice
- 2 fluid ounces Curacao, slightly bittter taste of oranges
- You can either buy your limes fresh, or by the can. Fresh is better as you can add the fruit to the drink. Pour the vodka into a large bowl, then slowly add the Curacao. You want the blue color to show up as much as possible, but not too dark.
- Add the lime juice. If you are using fresh lime, squeeze the lime into a cup and mix with water. You don't want the drink to be too strong. If you are using canned lime then you don't need to add water.
- Now slowly add the lime juice to the vodka and Curacao. Make sure you add enough lime to make the drink turn green. Add more of the lime or curacao to get it just right.
Now for the perfect Kermit Special.
- Get out the cocktail shaker.
- Add all the ingredients into the shaker
- Add ice.
- Now shake it for a few seconds, really giving it a mix.
- Pour over ice into two glasses and add the lime wedges to the sides.
This drink recipe is very versatile. By adding pineapple juice instead of lime it will give it a sharp zingy taste. If you don't like vodka, you can substitute it with white rum.
In fact any combination will do as long as it turns out green. This is also standard in the pubs. The actual use of the word Kermit is more to do with the color than the actual ingredients.
Non Alcoholic Kermit Special
- Lime Juice
- Pineapple Juice
- Kiwi Fruit Juice
- Water to taste.
Mix all the fruit juices together in a large bowl, pour in crushed ice and mix. If you want to make it sweeter add cut up strawberries and slivers of apple. The kiwi fruit will take away the sharp tang of the lime and pineapple, and the strawberries and apple will sweeten to taste. Add water to dilute.
Frozen Drink Recipe
Just mix all the above together in a large bowl, add loads of crushed ice and place in freezer for as long as possible. Make sure you cover it otherwise it will become too frozen. Approx an hour should do it. But use your discretion.
Take it out of the freezer and let the kids loose with the paper cups! A great summer drink for those hot days.
If you find that the mixture isn't green enough, just add a drop of food colorant to the mixture before freezing. And of course you don't have to make it green, why not mix up the fruits in a variety of bowls and have a color party? Red fruits, purple fruits, orange and lemon! Your choice!
C, A, E
Magnesium Copper Potassium
A, B1, B2,
Calcium, Sodium, Iron
Selenium, Manganese, Potassium
More by this Author
Zucchini boats or stuffed zucchini with almonds recipe. Includes interesting facts about Almonds and nutritional value of recipe.
Herbal Wines are a healthy alternative drink that are packed full of vitamins, and are a perfect after dinner beverage.
Thyroid disease A personal guide that will help you recognise each symptom and side effect that the Doctor doesn't know. From harmful tablets to seeing the illness in your face and body.