Easiest Coleslaw Recipe Ever
In Search of an Easy Coleslaw Recipe
Hot weather, barbecues, picnics, and summer holidays just wouldn't be the same without coleslaw. Nothing makes a pork barbecue sandwich taste better than a heaping of creamy coleslaw. And fried chicken and coleslaw were just meant to snuggle on a plate together. Plus what are fish and chips without homemade coleslaw?
A lot of people get frustrated trying to make homemade coleslaw, especially getting the coleslaw dressing with vinegar just right. I used to be one of them, until I found the easiest coleslaw recipe ever! No more expensive bottled cole slaw dressing for me! I swear! With simple proportions and only 5 basic ingredients, I memorized this recipe in no time. And with my memory, that's saying something.
Not only that, but the homemade coleslaw dressing with vinegar tastes out of this world. It's creamy, sweet and tangy at the same time. Anyone can make this comfort food recipe, even beginner cooks. And this coleslaw recipe can be put together in less than 5 minutes, I guarantee it. So, here is how I make my homemade coleslaw recipe. It's so easy, I'm almost embarrassed.
Save Money - Buy Southern Cooking Cookbooks Online
Easy Coleslaw Recipe How To
Coleslaw Recipe Ingredients
- 1 bag slaw mix with cabbage and carrots
- 3/4 cup salad dressing, not mayo (like Miracle Whip brand)
- 2 tablespoons each: sugar and vinegar (I prefer apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Salt and pepper, to taste (purely optional)
Mix everything except the coleslaw mix in a bowl until it's smooth and creamy.
Put the coleslaw mix into a big salad bowl. Pour the homemade dressing over it. Stir it all up well to coat all of the cabbage and carrots. You may need to add a bit more salad dressing, depending on how creamy you like your homemade cole slaw.
Refrigerate covered until ready to serve.
In my opinion, the secret to this coleslaw recipe is the use of salad dressing instead of mayonnaise. It adds a bit of tangy sweetness that's perfect.
I just can't leave a recipe alone, even if it's delicious. So, here are some of the variations I use with this easy coleslaw recipe:
- Sometimes I add 1/2 of an onion, minced fine.
- A crunchy apple with the peel cut up into chunks supplies nice added color and crunch.
- A couple of dashes of hot sauce gives it some added zip.
- A small can of pineapple tidbits, drained well, is a refreshing addition.
- A handful of raisins is good.
- When my husband is around, I use powdered stevia instead of sugar for a more diabetic friendly side dish.
- I suppose if you want to feel like a real chef, you can use a head of cabbage and some carrots and shred them yourself.
More by this Author
This is absolutely the world's best grilled salmon recipe. The grilled salmon tastes hot and spicy, but not overpowering. Even fish and seafood haters will love this grilled salmon! Instructions for baking salmon are...
Many people learn how to make meatloaf when they first start cooking. Meat loaf is a versatile recipe that can be made in many different ways. However, it's hard to beat a classic meatloaf recipe like the Quaker Oats...
Learn some of the most common, and a few uncommon, very early signs of pregnancy. Watch for these if it's too early to take a pregnancy test.