Easily Make Garlic and Cheese Bread From Scratch In Under an Hour
Easily Make Garlic and Cheese Bread From Scratch in Under an Hour
If you're cooking for one, you quickly realise that it's just not worth it ... it's just me ... I won't bother. And when it comes to baking your own bread then even if you buy a breadmaker sometimes you just want bread "now" and not in 3 hours' time!
That's what's so great about this cheese and garlic bread: it's quick, it's easy - it's ideal for one person. Although you actually make enough to serve four people that's OK because you can eat it over the next 2-3 days (or halve the recipe), but the main thing is it's easy to make so you don't feel it's taken you half a day just for one!
Garlic and Cheese Bread In Under an Hour: Ingredients
- 250 grams Self Raising Flour (or plain flour with 2 teaspoons of baking powder added; in the US this is all purpose flour). US measurements: 2 cups.
- 100 grams strong cheese, grated (cheddar is ideal, but any hard cheese). US measurements: 1 cup.
- 30 grams/2 tablespoons sugar.
- 3 grams/¾ teaspoon garlic powder.
- 200-220 millilitres milk. US measurements: ¾ cup.
- 35 millilitres/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
I've tried to include all measurements here as there are several ways that people cook. If you have cups of the right size it can be easier to use these to measure out ingredients, but if you're lucky enough to have some digital weighing scales then you might prefer to be more precise.
Variation: Cheese & Tomato Garlic Bread
Garlic and Cheese Bread In Under an Hour: Method
- Mix together the flour, sugar, garlic powder and cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the vegetable oil with the milk and egg.
- Stir the wet mix into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the mix into a greased 1lb loaf pan.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C 350°F (Gas Mark 4). for 50-60 minutes or until a sharp knife inserted near the middle comes out clean - note that if it's just showing steam/wetness it's done, this instruction means to come out with none of the mix stuck to the knife.
- Cool your loaf for 10-15 minutes before taking it out of your loaf tin and leaving it on a wire rack to cool totally.
Serve hot, warm or cold!
Garlic and Cheese Bread in Under an Hour: Alternatives
This recipe is quite forgiving - and you might like to adjust the recipe yourself once you've done it the first time. If you find it comes out a little dry, then use less milk.
The ingredients measurements work, but feel free to try more/less of the cheese and the garlic to better suit your individual taste!
This is a nice moist garlic bread that goes great as a snack, as a side dish to chilli, it's super served with a BarBQ meal or to take to a party to share with friends.
More Easy Bread Recipes:
- Easily Make Your Own Garlic Bread
Easily Make Your Own Garlic Bread - SO easy to make that you'll wonder why you didn't always make it yourself.
- Recipe for Easy Peasy Cheesy Bread in an Hour
This easy cheese bread recipe is SO versatile you can use it for almost any flavour combination you can think of! This is a no yeast cheese bread too.
More by this Author
Reheating cooked chicken meat is not dangerous, but you do need to know how to do it safely. Find out how to safely reheat leftover cooked chicken so it turns out perfectly every time.
What is the best slow cooker for one person? Essential tips of what to look for so you can choose your first slow cooker with confidence
How to Start an Ironing Business: Make money working from home part-time. Find out how you do that, what can you charge, what do you need...