Easy And Delicious Fruit Cake Recipes With Rum
Fruit cake recipes with rum are less common than they used to be. Even simply finding good fruit cake recipes from scratch is challenging with so many store-bought varieties available. Fruit cakes bought from your grocery store tend to be dry and void of flavor. If you want a good cake, you will have to shell out $50 or more to order one from a catalogue. There is no reason to waste money doing this, however, when you can create your own tasty holiday treat in your own kitchen for a fraction of the cost.
You may be wondering why there are some fruit cake recipes with rum. Rum adds sweetness and flavor that compliments this fruity dessert well. If the rum is used before baking, the alcohol content will evaporate in the high oven temperature. If the rum is in an uncooked topping or glaze applied after the cake has been baked, the alcohol will remain, and the cake is best suited for adults.
An Easy Favorite
The following recipe is sure to be a favorite of yours for many holidays to come. The simple procedure is straightforward but delicious.
• Soak a ¾ cup mixture of chopped dried cherries, mangos, cranberries, and currants and 2 tablespoons of chopped candied citron in ¼ cup of rum for at least 24 hours covered at room temperature.
• Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 6 x 3 inch round pan and line it with parchment paper.
• Mix ½ cup butter and ¼ cup of brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in 1 egg. In a separate bowl, wisk together ½ cup of flour, 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon. Combine this mixture and ¼ cup of molasses and 2 tablespoons of milk with the butter and sugar. Stir in the soaked fruit and ¼ cup of chopped pecans. Fill prepared pan with this batter.
• Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Leave in the pan to cool for 10 minutes, and then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of rum.
• Cut one piece of parchment paper and one piece of cheese cloth large enough to wrap around the cake. Moisten cheese cloth with a tablespoon of rum. Unmold cake, then sprinkle more rum on sides and top of cake before wrapping it tightly in
the moist cheese cloth. Wrap the parchment paper around this and place in a tin to age for at least 10 weeks. For each additional 10 weeks of storage, douse the cake with more rum.
Since this cake does take time to age, you will want to make it in mid-October if you want to enjoy it over Christmas.
This recipe is only one example of the delicious cakes you can find if you search the internet. Relatives will soon be hunting you down for a slice of your famous fruit cake. Do not throw money away on fancy catalogue cakes when you can use fruit cake recipes with rum and have great success.
More by this Author
There are basically four goals of psychology: to describe, to explain, to predict and to influence behavior. Sometimes the fifth goal of observing in order to understand a problem further is added, but the first four...
No comments yet.