How To Make Walnut Waffles
Easy Breakfast Recipe - Walnut Waffles
One of my favorite meals to collect recipes for is breakfast. I love having options whenever we have company or we go on vacation somewhere. I like being able to come up with something delicious with relatively little effort.
This recipe for walnut waffles falls into many categories - delicious, easy, perfect for company and unique for a special breakfast anytime!
I find that breakfast recipes are great for experimentation or in combination with other foods or recipes. This recipe is no exception. I first tried it when my mother and my son came to visit, serving it with strawberries and whipped cream. Then when my daughter and son-in-law came for a visit, I added more variations such as applesauce and fruit butters.
Whatever way you decide to make these waffles, even as a dinner waffle, I think you'll find them easy to make and fabulous so many ways. However, you'll also discover that they are very quick to make and wonderful to freeze!
On another hurried morning, just pop them out of the freezer and into the toaster and in minutes, you'll have homemade waffles! For that factor alone, I double the recipe and put part in the freezer for other days. Bob claims that he feels like he 'almost' made them himself when he pops them out of the freezer and serves them up a few minutes later!
Recipe for Walnut Waffles
Makes 8 waffles (though depends on size of waffle iron)
- 1-3/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Salt – up to 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
- 2 large eggs, separated (or equivalent egg white substitute)
- 1-1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup canola or corn oil
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine egg yolks, milk and oil in a small bowl.
- Stir into the dry ingredients.
- In stand-up mixer or small bowl with hand mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold gently into the batter along with walnuts.
- Spray hot waffle iron with nonstick spray. Pour in batter – use about 1/2 cup or more per waffle, depending on size of waffle iron surface. When closed, you want the batter to fill in almost all of the surface of waffle iron.
- Bake until waffles are crisp and browned.
Suggestions and Additions
This recipe is the best yet for waffles! Over the years, I've tried several recipes for waffles that had beaten egg whites folded into the recipe. However, for some reason, this recipe holds up better than most and makes a deliciously light and crispy waffle, which is just how I like them.
I’m not sure why I thought adding walnuts to the batter would be a good idea but on one batch I tried it and now I’m sold! I loved the combination of the light and crispy waffle with a little bit of walnut crunch mixed in. It is yet another way to incorporate a bit of walnuts into your daily diet. Walnuts are one of the seven recommended foods we should eat every day.
Here are some great serving ideas:
- Substitute pecans for the walnuts (thanks, BJ)
- Real whipped cream and sliced strawberries
- Fresh blueberries and whipped cream
- Apple or other fruit butter or jam with fresh sliced peaches or other fruits
- Homemade chunky style applesauce
- Hint of pumpkin butter with some steamed fruit - like apples or pears
- Use apple butter instead
- For the kid at heart, add some tiny chocolate chips to the batter
- Try other chopped nuts added to the batter
- Add chopped bacon to the batter and make bacon waffles
- Chopped apple added to the batter makes wonderful apple waffles
- Soaked, drained dried fruit added to the batter such as blueberries or cranberries makes great waffles
- You can substitute quick oats or different flours for part of the flour in the recipe for a different taste
- Dust with a bit of powdered sugar and top with fruit
- Serve waffles for dessert - they make a deliciously different dessert item!
- Pure maple syrup
- Add in to your heart's delight or try different toppings. There are endless possibilities to making delicious waffles!
Summing Up Walnut Waffles
If you're looking for a delicious recipe for waffles that is so absolutely simple, try this one. I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I do. It is a great one for a special breakfast such as at the holidays or when you have guests, but it is also a great recipe 'just because' you feel like waffles!
I also tried different waffle irons for this recipe. I have a Belgian waffle iron, a flip-over waffle maker and a George Foreman grill with waffle plates.
I have to say that the problem for me with waffles when you have company is that you never seem to have everyone’s waffles ready at the same time along with the rest of the breakfast and rest of your ingredients.
My solution was to double my waffle recipe and then use at least 2 of my waffle makers to try and make more at a time. However, the waffle iron I found the largest and thus better at getting more to the table at once was the George Foreman. I could easily make several big waffles and then even have the 2 other waffle irons going at the same time. I ended up with many more waffles in the same time as opposed to trying to make one at a time on the smaller irons.
As noted above, these waffles also freeze like a dream. When you have finished cooking all the batter, let the waffles cool. Simply pop them in freezer bags, label and keep in the freezer. When needed, pop the needed amount in the toaster. They come out just as crisp and light as when you first made them - even if you've defrosted them in the fridge the night before.
More Hubs on Waffles!
- Spice Waffle Recipe
mmmmm! This is a favorite recipe I found on my travels through the interweb. Very tasty indeed! 1/2 cup raw cashew nuts1 cup boiling water1/4 cup honey2 eggs1 cup flour1/3 cup arrowroot2 tablespoons...
- Best Belgian Waffle Recipe in the World
My mom is the world's best cook. I know everyone says that, but mine really is. Each year on New Year's Day, she makes a roomful of waffles and we eat them with every imaginable topping. Whip cream, maple...
- Waffle Recipe
This is a very quick waffle recipe. And it's very easy so it's great for first time you are making waffles. You will need 4 ounces of all purpose flour and the same amount of whole-wheat flour, one tablespoon...
- Easiest Waffle Recipe Ever
You have a craving that you cannot control for some tasty waffles, but you don't want to spend hours in the kitchen cooking them, right? You know what I'm talking about: dirtying up the mixing bowls,...
- Recipe for Sauteed Peaches: Great With Crepes, Panca...
Make breakfast more exciting by adding sauteed peaches to it. Whether you're making regular old pancakes or fancier waffles and crepes, sauteed peaches provide a rich and wonderful flavor for your morning...
- Mickey Mouse Kitchen - Mickey Mouse Waffle Maker, Mi...
If you are a fan of Mickey Mouse there are some great ways you can bring him into your kitchen decor. This iconic mouse is on everything from flatware, to toaster ovens, to waffle makers and so many other...
- Authentic Liege Waffles---Waffles from Belgium!
Having grown up in a small city in Belgium in the province of Lige or Lttich as we called it the German speaking area called 'DreiLnder Eck' (meaning 3 countries corner) which was near the German...
- Homemade Waffle Recipes
Waffles make a great breakfast, whether they're eaten plain on the go or you're able to sit down and lather them with butter and syrup. You can purchase Ego waffles, but if you have the time and energy early...
- Light and Crispy Waffle Recipe
Mmmmm! Light and crispy waffles with butter and maple syrup! These waffles have been a family favorite for years. I got the recipe from my brother Matt Weaver of Speed101 fame. They are crispy on the outside...
Cranberry Walnut Waffles
Recipe for Chocolate Chip Waffles
More by this Author
Try this great bread pudding recipe for breakfast. It's very easy and so delicious you'll want to make it often.
You can make a jumbo or extra large muffin from any muffin recipe out there. You just have to know how to tweak the recipe in terms of baking time and amount you put in the pan. If you don't have a jumbo muffin pan,...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE38
How to get your pet de-skunked, pronto. Foolproof ways to get the odor out after your dog or other pet has been sprayed by a skunk.