Easy Cabbage Roll Recipe
This is my grandma’s recipe, so don’t tell her I’m passing it along! Cabbage rolls are tasty, but take a lot of time to prepare. My grandmother was a wife and mother who also worked at a full-time job outside of the home. She often made this easy version of cabbage rolls, which is actually a casserole.
Even if you don’t have a lot of time to cook dinners, you can easily whip up simple, tasty meals so your family can eat together. Serve this with cornbread, tomato wedges, and sliced onion. The meal wouldn’t be complete without some iced tea, so mix a bit of that up too. This dish is also good when you combine it with potatoes (boiled, mashed, or roasted). You have a lot of freedom with what to serve with this meal.
Another great thing about this meal isn’t that it doesn’t cost a lot. Cabbage is very nutritious, but also inexpensive. Just one cup of cabbage contains 90% of your daily value of Vitamin K, 50% of Vitamin C, and over 3 grams of fiber. Cabbage is also incredibly low in calories.
Find Cookbooks on Amazon
I omit the meat when I cook it for myself, so you can too if you desire. I either substitute the meat with a meat alternative, or crumbled tofu.
Unstuffed Cabbage Recipe
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- ½ lb. ground beef (or meat substitute)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked minute rice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. allspice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 cans tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Prepare a 2 ½ qua baking dish.
2. Mix the cabbage and sauerkraut together, and spread into baking dish.
3. Cook the meat and onions together. Drain off any fat from the meat.
4. Add the uncooked rice, salt, pepper, allspice, brown sugar, soup, and water to the meat mixture.
5. Pour the meat mixture over the cabbage.
6. Cover with foil, and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
7. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese, and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese melts.
More by this Author
Ginger is one of the foods that can give you a health punch because it is so full of healthy benefits for your body (and mind). Fresh ginger is best, so it is a good idea to keep some around (see below for storage...
An easy guide to cook pumpkin puree at home. Once you go fresh, you'll never go back.
A chapbook is a hand-stitched pamphlet. In the colonial United States, street peddlers called chapmen sold chapbooks, which contained religious messages, political opinions, poetry, and popular pieces of literature....