Healthy Chicken and Black Bean Chili
Even in the summer, a great bowl of warm chili can be enjoyed. Here is a easy homemade chicken chili recipe with heart-healthy ingredients your family is sure to enjoy. To lessen the cook time to only 30 minutes, use canned blackbeans (rinsed) instead of the dried variety. If you do have the time though, the dried beans are cheaper and release more flavor into the chili. Also for a lower calorie dish, use bonesless-skinless chicken breast instead of split-cut chicken breast.
- 1 Split cut chicken breast, Defatted and skinned for healthier recipe
- 1 cup Dried Black Beans, Kidney beans can be used as well
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 8 oz. can stewed tomatoes OR tomatoe sauce, choice depends on what is on hand
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp salt and pepper
- Fill medium size stock pot with 5 cups of water and turn on high.
- Add all ingredients and heat on high until boil. Then turn down to medium low (4) and cook, stirring occasionally for around an hour and a half or until beans are tender.
- Remove Chicken (if split-cut was used) and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, pull meat from bone and chop in large pieces.
- Reincorporate chicken and pull off heat.
- Top with cheese and sour cream. Enjoy
More by this Author
I am a full-time college student and a single mother. We live on $10,000 a year. I had to find a way to live within meager means, and this is how I do it.
5 great ways to use one of the staples in your pantry for quick meal idea
A quick and easy cheesecake recipe that takes only a few minutes to prepare with a pre-made graham cracker crust. Everyone will love this!
No comments yet.