Easy Chinese Egg Foo Young Recipe
Egg foo young is Chinese style egg omelet. It can be made of ham, pork, shrimp or other meat protein and mix vegetables such as bean sprouts, onion, bamboo shoot, cabbages, spring onions, etc. Unlike Western omelet, egg foo young is served with brown sauce or gravy and rice or noodles.
Here is how to make egg foo young at home. What you need is fresh egg and some leftover cooked chicken, pork or even beef. This egg dish is packed with protein and fiber. There are two kind of egg foo young: one is deep fried and another one is pan-fried. If you are on low-fat diet, pan-fried is best choice. I love to use non-stick skillet to reduce the grease level to minimal.
What You Need
Serves 2 - 3
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup diced char siu (Chinese bbq pork)
1/4 cup shreddet carrot
1/4 cup diced button mushrooms
2 spring onions, chopped
cooking oil for deep frying
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tbsp cooking oil
1 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
ground black pepper
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with water.
- To make the gravy: in a saucepan combine chicken stock, cooking oil, dark soy sauce, salt, sugar and a pinch of black pepper. Bring this mixture to a boil over high heat. Then lower the heat. Pour the cornstarch mixture in. Stir for 3o seconds or until the gravy is thick. Turn off the heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine beaten eggs, onions, char siu, carrot, mushroom and spring onions. Stir to combine.
- Heat a wok or skillet. When hot add cooking oil. Pour about 1/3 of the egg mixture into the wok. Cook for 2 minutes. Use big spoon or ladle and pour the hot oil on top of the omelet so that the top side becomes firm. Turn turning the omelet and cook for 1 - 2 minutes or until its browned. Remove the omelet from oil and drain. Repeat for the remaining egg mixture.
- Serve warm or hot with gravy.
More Quick and Easy Recipes
- Chinese Stir-Fried Clams With Bean Sauce And Chili. How to Stir-Fry Clams !
How to stir-fry clams with bean sauce and spicy chili. A tasty seafood dish.
- Yang Chow Fried Rice Recipe
How to fix Yang Chow fried rice. This is totally different variant of fried rice.
- Chinese Stir-Fried Shrimp With Sichuan Peppercorn Recipe
How to make spicy shrimp with Sichuan peppercorn. Spicy but tasty
- Chinese Stir-Fried Bean Sprouts With Bean Sauce Recipe. An Easy Vegetarian Dish
How to stir-fry bean sprouts. A healthy dish.
- Stir-Fried Chinese Beef Curry Recipe
How to fix stir-fry beef with spicy curry powder.
How to make Egg Foo Young
More by this Author
An easy and tasty Indonesian finger food or appetizer recipe.
Baked BBQ Pork Bun Jason Lam If you are familiar with dim sum, you may know how delicious Chinese pork buns are. Pork buns can be steamed or baked. Char siu bao is steamed bun with bbq pork filling. The baked version...
Steamed meatball is pretty common dim sum food. It can be made of beef, chicken, fish, shrimp or squid. My kid's favorite is steamed pork balls. They are soft, wonderful and flavorful. Fixing steamed meatballs at home...
No comments yet.