Easy Healthy Smoothie Recipe Under 200 Calories
In Praise of the Smoothie
Before I get into the recipe itself, allow me to go on for a bit about the glory of the smoothie.
A smoothie is one of those rare foods that can be equally enjoyed at any time of the day. As breakfast, it can be a great way to get the morning started. It's nice to sit and sip it at the table, and equally nice to pour it into a to go cup or mug and take it with you if you're in a rush. If you're trying to lose weight, having a smoothie for lunch along with a handful of nuts can keep you filled up for hours. A smoothie can also be a great substitute for dessert.
A smoothie is also a great way to sneak in foods that you are not crazy about. I don't suggest anything crazy in this recipe, but you could easily add some spinach or kale and not even notice it. Another popular addition is flax seed or protein powder. It will up the calories a bit, but those are good calories.
A smoothie is also fun for kids. Add a silly straw or put it in a fun cup and they will drink so much healthy goodness without even noticing it!
Basics to Prepare to Make this Smoothie
As you can see from the pictures above, this smoothie turns out beautifully. The color gets me every time. It's such a nice color, and so delicious.
You can definitely get all the ingredients at one store, though I like to stock up on frozen berries at Costco. All of the other ingredients I like to get at Trader Joe's, but you can also get them at any grocery store. The only item that might be hard to find at a smaller store is the mango chunks, but this smoothie still tastes great even without the mango.
As far as a blender, any one will do, but I must admit that our old Cuisinart's motor sometimes starts making a weird smell after running it long enough to grind up all the frozen berries! I'm hoping for a new blender for Christmas.
Healthy Simple Smoothie
Rate this smoothie recipe!
Five Reasons to Drink Smoothies
- There is simply something fun about them! They are like a milkshake in terms of fun, but not in terms of calories.
- You can blend up ingredients you might not otherwise enjoy. I know bananas and blueberries are good for me, but I don't love eating them on their own. When they are blended, they taste great!
- Easy to take on the go. It just takes a few minutes to make, and you can take it in the car.
- Enjoy something sweet with no added sugar. Fruit is amazing!
- You can make it all from frozen ingredients if needed. This means you can always have a smoothie as a back up plan.
- 1 cup Almond milk, Trader Joe's is great
- 1/2 cup Frozen berries, Costco is great
- 14 pieces Mango, Trader Joe's is great
- 1 Banana, Ripe is good
- 2 Tbsps Orange juice concentrate, Any brand will do
- Put frozen berries and frozen mango in the blender first
- Add banana (break it up into 4-5 pieces) and orange juice concentrate
- Pour almond milk over the top
- If it's too thick, add some water and blend again!
|Serving size: 1 smoothie|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
I love this smoothie because it is so low in calories but so delicious and satisfying. It's 160 calories per smoothie which leaves you a little wiggle room to stay under 200 calories. Throw in a few almonds to snack on and you will feel full for quite a while for just 200 calories.
I have a chart so you can see how I did the calorie calculations below. I also did not include the grams of fat in the nutritional info to the right but there is very little fat and no saturated fat.
Calorie count for 2 smoothies
Frozen berries (Cascadian Farm)
Frozen mango (Trader Joe's)
Almond milk (Trader Joe's)
Orange juice concentrate
320 (for 2 smoothies!)
I really hope you like this recipe as much as I do.
Please share in the comments if you have any modifications, or other great breakfasts under 200 calories!
More by this Author
Suggestions for favors for a two year old birthday party - also applies to all toddler birthday parties. Gives ideas about how to decide what type of favor to give out, and lists many different ideas for favors that...
Creative and thoughtful ideas for wedding gifts for second marriages or for older couples. Recommendations for experience oriented, family oriented (that involve children), and home oriented presents.
Recommends five non-traditional original poems and passages about marriage to read at a wedding ceremony. Includes the text of the poems and passages (from Neruda, L'Engle, Rumi, Simic, and Rilke). Ideas about how to...
No comments yet.