Easy Healthy and Delicious Omelette Muffin Recipe
We have all heard of blueberry muffins, banana nut muffins, chocolate chip muffins, and corn muffins, but have you ever heard of omelette muffins?
I first saw omelette muffins a friend shared a picture on facebook. It seems like a neat idea, so I gave it a try. It’s a fun, healthy and delicious alternative to making your standard omelette!
If you’re looking for a new and interesting way to cook eggs at home, for an office party, for the holidays, or for a family Sunday brunch, omelette muffins are a good alternative.
What You'll Need
- 6-8 large eggs
- Non-stick spray
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Dash onion powder, if desired
- 4-6 pieces crumbled bacon, or bacon bits
- 1/4 lb. ham, chopped in small bits
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup peppers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- Shredded cheese for topping, if desired
Other Supplies You'll Need
- Muffin/cupcake pans (2 small or 1 large)
- Optional: paper or foil cupcakes cups; if used, spray generously with non-stick spray to prevent sticking, or don't use and put egg mixture directly into the muffin pans.
How to Make Omelette Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, crack and whip the eggs. Add salt and pepper, and onion powder, if desired. Set aside.
- For muffin pans, the first time I made omelette muffins, I made the mistake of use cupcake holders and I forgot to spray the paper cups with non-stick spray, so my omelette muffins stuck to the paper. Therefore, I would recommend either generously spraying with non-stick spray, or not using the paper cupcake holders. If you are not using paper or foil cupcake holders, be sure to still spray your muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Next, add your omelette fillings (bacon, ham, or chopped vegetables) to fill about 1/3 of the cup.
- Next, fill each muffin cup with egg batter so that it fills approximately ¾ of the cup. Don’t overfill the cups.
- Place muffin pan(s) in oven for approximately 20-30 minutes, checking about ½ way through.
- If you are adding cheese, add the cheese during the last 5-10 minutes so that the cheese does not burn or over cook.
Omelette Filling Ideas
Bacon - I use Hormel microwavable bacon. It comes in 4 strip packages that take approximately 3 ½ to 4 minutes to cook in the microwave. Adding an extra 30 seconds will make the bacon extra crispy. Once cooked, crumble to well-cooked bacon into small bits. You can also use store bought bacon bits as an alternative.
Ham - I like to buy deli ham thinly sliced (ham flavor of your choice), and then I chop up the ham into small little pieces using a knife.
Onions and peppers - you can do one of the following:
- Chop by hand
- Use a chop setting in your blender or food processor
- Buy pre-cut chopped veggie blend
Mushrooms - I usually buy fresh mushrooms, or a fresh cut-up veggie mix, and then I chop the mushrooms into smaller pieces
|Serving size: 1 Omelette Muffin with Meat|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Carbohydrates 2 g||1%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Additional Nutrition Facts
Note: Calories above may vary depending on if you add cheese (add 25-50 calories depending on the amount of cheese).
For omelette muffins with all vegetables, and no meat or cheese, calories will be approximately 45-50 depending on the ingredients.
Note: This is #10 of 30 of my 30 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge.
More by this Author
What’s for dinner tonight? How about a healthy dish made of broiled flounder, over-baked potatoes with pot-luck seasoning and mixed grilled vegetables? It’s easy to make, well-balanced and delicious.
This article provides ingredients, recipe and step-by-step instructions for making Chicken Marsala. By following this easy-to-use cooking guide, you can create a Chicken Marsala dinner in no time!
Are people born smart or is it a learned behavior? How do we define intelligence? Learn about the power of your mind, and what you can do everyday to boost your brain power.