Easy Holiday Cornbread Dressing
My family love dressings and stuffing, especially at the holidays and MOST especially when it is cornbread based. Over the years I've found that while the five-minute pre-packaged variety of stuffings can be time-saving, none of them beat the taste of old-fashioned baked dressing.
The following recipe is simplistic as it utilizes prepackaged cornbread mix. But it has all the basic tasty ingredients found in the made-from-scratch variety as our grandmothers used to make.
Preparation (approximate) and Cooking Time
- 16 ounces cornbread mix, dry, packaged
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, chopped walnuts or chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cups chicken or turkey stock
- 1/2 tablespoon dried sage, finely cut or powdered
- 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary, finely cut or powdered
- 1/4 tablespoon dried basil, finely cut or powdered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prepare and bake the dry corn bread mix according to package directions. Cool and crumble. Put to the side.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In large skillet over medium heat: melt the butter and sauté the celery, nuts and onion until softened.
- In a large bowl: combine the celery, onions, nuts and 3 1/2 cups of the crumbled cornbread.
- Add to this mixture: the eggs, stock, nuts, sage, rosemary, basil, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly..
- Pour the preparation into your baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Allow to cool ten minutes before serving
For mushroom lovers: try adding a 1/2 cup of mushroom caps to the basic recipe. Just stir in the mushrooms during the last stage of mixing, before pouring the preparation into the pan.
For spice lovers: add a 1 tablespoon dry Cajun Seasoning during the final mixing step.
This recipe Hub ©November 13, 2013 by Beth Perry
More by this Author
A list of the 10 Worst cold and nutritious breakfast cereals from a consumer who likes the taste of whole grain foods when they're done right.
A selection of non-alcoholic Irish-themed beverages, great for St. Patrick's Day or other celebrations.
40 sensuous love and romance songs that deserve to be on a collection album of their very own