Quick and Easy Homemade Sloppy Joes
Why buy pre-made sloppy joes or mix when you can easily have a better tasting one made fresh? Following is a recipe that works for traditional meat like beef. But the great part is the recipe is so simple that it works for low-fat and low-calorie meats. In parentheses are the types of ingredient I would recommend.
- 1 tsp oil (olive oil or canola)
- 1 pound ground meat (turkey or buffalo)
- 1 sweet onion (Vidalia)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Hamburger buns or bread
1. Heat oil in a frying pan.
2. Brown the meat.
3. Chop and add the onion.
4. Add garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
5. Stir until well combined
6. Serve on hamburger buns
What Is Your Favorite Protein?See results without voting
Helpful Information and Tips
- Turkey and buffalo do not have a high fat content, so they need some help getting a good sear. But the benefit is you do not have to drain any fat while cooking.
- I would not recommend using extra virgin olive oil, as it has a low smoke point and has a distinct, stronger flavor than the ones listed above.
- While ground turkey is easy to find in major stores, ground buffalo meat can be found at stores like Wegmans.
- I like Vidalia onions because they are sweeter than other onions.
- One tip I have is to use a measuring cup once you get to step 4. This keeps you from measuring over the pan (potentially adding too much that you can’t take back out) and ensures more even incorporation of ingredients by stirring with a spoon before adding to the pan. Also, it is easier to pour all the ingredients in at once with no mess.
More by this Author
Product review of Melaleuca's new Simply Fit microwave popcorn.
A quick and easy way to make miso soup from scratch in less than 10 minutes. Complete with video and pictures.
An exploration of how Olaf's words and actions undermine what is truly intended in the short story "Big Good Black Man."