Easy Indian chicken curry
If you are an avid curry lover then this is a very simple and easy curry recipe which uses up any leftover vegetables you have around the house and goes down very well with all the family.
To feed 4 People you will need
- Three large Chicken Breasts
- 2 medium sized onions
- Jar Curry Paste (Madras or Vindaloo paste, I use the pataks version)
- 1 Large Yellow pepper
- 1 Large Red pepper
- 3 Medium sized Carrots
- Tinned tomatoes chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- Squeeze of Lemon
- Sprig of Fresh Coriander (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive oil for cooking
- 150mls Water
- Any other leftover vegetables you have in such as broccoli, mushrooms and courgettes are good to use.
For the Curry sauce.
- Chop up one onion and the garlic and fry in a large saucepan until lightly softened with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a heaped tablespoon of curry paste.
- Roughly chop up the peppers, carrots and any other vegetables you have around the house and place them in the pan. Cook them until they have softened slightly and coated with the curry paste mixture
- Add the tinned tomatoes, stir until the mixture boils then turn down to simmer with the lid on.
- Allow to simmer slowly for 25-30 minutes or until the vegetable mixture is completely soft
- Next, tip the vegetable mix into a food processor or liquidiser and process untill you have a very smooth sauce.
- If your sauce comes out too thick you can add more water to get the consistency you want.
Preparing the Chicken
- Dice the chicken into large pieces and place into a bowl
- Slice up the second onion into fine slices and add to the chicken
- Add a heaped tablespoonful of curry paste and stir well so that the paste has coated all the chicken and onions....add more if you need to
- Add a squeeze of lemon and chopped up coriander leaves and stir
- You can leave prepare this in the morning or even the night before and leave in the fridge to marinade before cooking covered with cling film.
Putting it all together!
This is the fun bit as you know your curry is coming together!
- Using a very hot pan or Wok heat up a tablespoon of oil and fry the chicken and onion mixture until cooked though making sure it does not stick to the bottom of the pan
- Add the curry sauce to the pan and stir, you can let the sauce mixture simmer but you may get splashed if your sauce mix is thick!
- Serve with Basmati rice.
- If you are vegetarian swap the chicken for mushrooms or broccoli or fish.
- You could make the whole thing in the slow cooker especially the vegetable sauce as the flavours will infuse better
More by this Author
These Bendy headbands are this years biggest fashion accessory in the UK and is so versatile it can be worn in various ways and for different events and look cool on long and short style hair.