Easy Lemon Pepper Grilled Chicken Meal
A Simple Dessert
Cooking for One - Dinner Meal
A tasty, healthy and pleasing-to-the-eyes meal can also be easy to make. The proof here is that I did all this. I was really just trying to use my new digital camera and try out some of the editing software but I managed to make a meal that was all of the above and it didn't take very much time.
If you need help in the kitchen, or would like to impress someone in your life that you can cook, this meal is a good starting point for such an event. Most everyone has a spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend, boss, in-law, aunt, uncle or good friend (some people have more than one of each of these) that you would like to invite over for dinner but aren't sure what to make. This meal is a good choice because it is also budget-friendly and doesn't require too much attention while it is being prepared so you can entertain at the same time.
The stuff you need
- 1 Boneless chicken breast, cut in half from "tip to tail"
- Lemon Juice, half a lemon or several squirts of bottled juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup water for the rice
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 green onion stalk, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- Soya Sauce, to taste
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 8-10 pieces of fresh broccoli
- margarine or butter, for the vegetables
- 1 heaping tablespoon Light sour cream, or regular if you prefer
- 2 scoops (or maybe 3) Chapmans Frozen Yogurt, flavour of your choice
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- shredded coconut, not too much
Not necessarily in this order
- Griiling the chicken--Pour the lemon juice over the chicken and grind fresh pepper onto the flat surface of the chicken that was made by cutting it tip to tail.
- Preheat your barbecue to a medium setting. I actually did this one on an electric barbecue since my apartment only allows this type. Grill on the flat side first for about 7 minutes to get the nice grill marks. Turn and do the other two sides for about 3 minutes each.
- The rice--Start the water in a small pot on high and add the rice. Cook for about 5 minutes. Turn the heat down to 1 and add the chopped up onion and garlic. Squirt in some soya sauce to taste which also gives it that nice brown colour. Stir every once in a while. When the rice is done, you are going to present it in a neat pile in the centre of a plate and then spoon the sour cream into the centre of that pile. The reason for this is that you mix it up with the rice when you eat it to overcome the dryness of the rice mixture.
- Vegetables--I prepare almost all my fresh vegetables in the microwave using a pyrex measuring cup and a little water and cover it with parchment paper. The vegetables retain their colour and almost all of the nutrients. I never boil vegetables unless I am making soup because that is where the colour, taste and nutrients go; into the liquid broth.
- Dessert--You might want to leave this until you have finished your dinner and maybe did the dishes. Simply scoop the frozen yogurt into a bowl and cover it with the sliced bananas and sprinkle with a little coconut. Have you ever read the nutrition facts for coconut--brutal!! Not for someone on a diet.
Some more stuff
This is mostly because i like to ramble but there is some useful information included in this capsule.
Chapmans Frozen Yogurt
I personally don't mind giving out a plug for a really good product. I have personally tried 3 flavours so far and find the taste to be every bit as good as an ice cream parlour plus it is much lower in calories, fat and cholesterol. We all know that cholesterol is that stuff in food that makes it taste good. (I think it was Dustin Hoffman who said this on the old Tonight Show hosted by the great Johnny Carson)
Boy has it ever come a long way! I used a Nikon Coolpix and Roxio Creator 2012 for editing the photos. You can remove a fleck of food that is in the wrong place, crop the photo to just include the stuff you want to show and a lot of other wonderful things.
Keep Your Kitchen Knives Sharp
I have to admit that I hate using other people's kitchen knives because they are usually duller than those round-nosed scissors we used in preschool. If you want to learn a lot about kitchen knife safety I have included the link to another hub I wrote about this subject.
And if you don't want to read it, that's OK and have a nice day
...and thanks for reading this recipe.
I hope you try it some time soon.
More by this Author
Conventinal telephone communication does not allow for body language (so far) so it is important to speak clearly and use understandable content in your voice only conversation.
The late 1960's was a unique time for music in and around the city of Toronto, Ontario. This story is from the perspective of just one individual that grew up in that time. Some of the actual players add their comments...
Consumer spending on locally or nationally produced products or services is just one way the average person can have a direct impact on a local economy.
No comments yet.