Best Easy Muffin and Chili Meals
Corn Muffins Through Time
In ancient Israel, cooks prepared cakes of corn meal or other grain and a little oil. In the Old South, plantation slaves did the same on the back of hoe blades over a fire. Muffins are a more modern version of the old favorites.
An Easy Cooking Lunch for Work
♣ Meal In A Muffin ♣
Serves 6 - 8
Each of these large muffins contains vegetables, meats, and cheese for a hand-held meal that is good for lunch at work.This recipe makes an easy alternative to the hand pie, empanada, or pastie.
As a vegetarian option, you can substitute sauteed eggplant or other additional vegetables for the meat and cheese, if you like.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- Pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup low-fat milk or us an 8-punce container of plain yogurt
- ½ cup copped onions
- ½ cup chopped green peppers
An alternative to chopped green peppers is to slice the bell pepper into thin strips and sauté then lightly. This brings a different flavor and texture to the muffin.
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms (sauté like)
- ½ cup crumbled cooked sausage, bacon, or diced kielbasa
- ½ cup shredded cheddar or Colby jack cheese
Preparation and Baking Time - About 35 Minutes
- Mix the corn meal and flour together in a large bowl. [If you use all-purpose flour, add ½ teaspoon salt and 1 Tablespoon baking powder. ]
- Add pepper, to taste. This could be black pepper, white pepper, or red pepper. Add the cumin if you desire a smoky type of flavor. Mix well.
- Add oil and mix well.
- Add milk or yoghurt and mix well.
- Add vegetables and meat and mix.
- Add cheese and mix finally to form a moist ball of dough. Add a little more milk or yogurt of the mix is too dry. If too moist, add a little more corn meal.
Fill muffin pans 3/4 full of dough.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Pkease rate the Meal In a Muffin!
Need Some New Muffin Pans?
Speaking of Muffins:
- Nerd Cupcakes - Incredible!
The ultimate guide to cupcakes for nerds, complete with nerdy cupcake ideas, tons of photos, a simple (but delicious) recipe, and decorating tips.
This dish might become lunch for the next day at work.
≥ Sausage-Veggie Chili Bowl ≤
Vegetarian options included
In place of sausage, additional vegetables may be used. Sometimes I use fresh mushrooms or sauteed eggplant or a combination of both. Other times I substitute 1 can of another type of bean so that I have dark kidney beans and black beans in the same dish. Still other times I use 3-4 kinds of beans or use both white/Spanish and red onions. A group of possibilities makes this dish a surprise every time.
Right Size Muffin Pans
Equipment and Tools
- Clean and Sanitized Cutting Board.
- Kitchen Knives
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cup
- Can Opener
- Small Saucepan
- Cast Iron Skillet with Lid
- Mixing Spoon
- 3-4 Celery Ribs, chopped
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- ½ Cup chopped Green Bell Pepper
- ½ Cup chopped Red Bell Pepper
- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 Pound of Sausage links, any kind you like [substitute vegetables, if you like]
- 1 Can diced Tomatoes with green peppers or chilies [Old Gold brand is very good], with the juice
- 1 Can Kidney Beans (dark or light) or Black Beans, drained
- 2 Cups of water (I use spring water, vegetable broth or chicken stock)
- 5 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp chopped green Chilies or 1 Tbsp chopped Jalapeno
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ Cup shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 1 Bunch of scallions or green onions, including half of green tails, chopped
Preparation takes about 30 minutes
- Chop the vegetables or buy pre-chopped or chopped-frozen at the market.
- In the bottom of a saucepan, pour EVOO to just cover the bottom of the pan.
- Sauté the celery, onion, and sweet peppers in the EVOO until tender-crisp and don't overcook. Remove the pan from heat and set aside.
- Pour EVOO to cover the bottom of the cast iron skillet and break the sausage meat into it. Cook the meat over medium-high heat until sausage is completely browned, but not overdone. Drain excess grease and return skillet to the burner.
- Stir tomatoes, kidney beans, water or stock, tomato paste, chilies or Jalapeno, and the seasonings into the skillet.
- Bring the skillet mixture to a hard boil and then immediately reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer the mixture uncovered about 20 minutes until the desired level of thickness.
- Spoon into chili bowls and garnish with shredded cheese and chopped green onions or scallions.
- Alternatively, if you like a thinner dish, cook for less time and add seasoned croutons that will soak up the good flavors.
Highlight: Jungle Fusion Muffins
More by this Author
When you see and taste this pizza, you will not believe that this dish is not made completely from scratch.
Do you get a break for lunch at work? If so, you may need a quick and easy meal. In the early 20th century as Upton Sinclair wrote "The Jungle" about the atrocities of the factory, many people did not have any...
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.