Easy Macaroni with Bechamel Recipe
The recipe I am presenting here is from the Mediterranean cuisine. I found it very easy and fast to prepare. It’s the perfect recipe for those crazy busy days.
In a way it's similar to the popular recipe "Macaroni and Cheese", but it has stronger and richer taste with the Bechamel sauce and the ground beef.
A perfect light dinner recipe, that it'll also fill your tummy.
1 medium size onion, grated
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound ground beef
Salt and spices (black pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon)
1 can (156 ml) tomato paste
½ cup (150 ml) water
Elbow Macaroni (675 g)
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
6 tablespoons powdered milk
4 cups (900 ml) water
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch of black pepper
Method to prepare meat mix:
1. In a pan add vegetable oil and grated onion; stir them until onion is slightly cooked.
2. Add 1 pound ground beef. Stir well until the meat is cooked. Add salt and spices.
3. Add ½ cup water to the meat, and then add the tomato paste. Mix well. Keep cooking at medium temperate for about 5-7 minutes. Then cover pan and simmer at low temperate for 5-7 minutes.
4. Cook the elbow macaroni.
Method to Prepare Béchamel:
1. In a mixer add water, powdered milk, flour, salt and pepper. Mix for only 4 seconds.
2. In a pan (preferably TefaL) add the mixture and stir at low temperature. Don’t leave without stirring for more than a minute. Keep stirring until mixture is thick and creamy.
3. Scoop two tablespoons of Béchamel in the meat mixture.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In Pyrex 9" x 13" (3 QT) baking dish put some macaroni to cover the bottom.
3. Add all the meat mixture on top of macaroni.
4. Add the rest of macaroni on top of meat.
5. Add Béchamel sauce on top. You can add a bit of oil on top of Béchamel to give it the golden look when cooked.
Put dish in oven and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Origins of Béchamel Sauce “White Sauce”:
The sauce is named after Louis de Bechameil, a French financier who perfected this white sauce that's based on an erlier sauce.
It's considered a mother sauce in the French cuisine and an important one in Italian cuisine.It's also used as the base for lots of traditional sauces; such as: Creme sauce, Cheddar cheese sauce, Mornay sauce , Moussaka and money other sauces.It's basically made by adding milk to a "roux": a combination of flour and butter and cooked for few minutes.
More by this Author
If you want to share folders, files and printers on a home or small office network and your computers are on a workgroup and not a domain then each computer needs to have the same username and password. So each...
This recipe is perfect if you are in a hurry, need dessert but do not want to spend a lot of time in kitchen, craving chocolate yet lazy, or whenever surprised with a last minute guests. It only takes 15 minutes to...
What would be more delicious and mouth watering than a chocolate cake? The answer would be a chocolate cake with crème caramel. One of the masterminds of dessert recipes came up with a way to mix them both...