13 Easy Meringue Cookies Recipes
Animal Meringue Cookies
Easy Cookie Recipe
My kids love Meringue Cookies with their light crunchy taste and melt in the mouth sweet flavor. I love that I can make these with two ingredients I always have:
- Egg Whites
Of course, there are lots of options to add flavor and make the cookies puff up more, but in a pinch you can make great cookies with just those two ingredients!
Easy Meringue Cookies
13 Easy Meringue Cookies from One Recipe
My favorite part of making Meringue Cookies is that you can take the basic meringue batter and make lots of different cookies. Here are some of our favorites (see chart below for instructions on making all of these):
- Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
- Nutella Meringue Cookies.
- Chocolate Meringue Cookies.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies.
- M & M Meringue Cookies.
- Cinnamon and Nut Meringue Cookies
- Date Nut Meringue Cookies
- Meringue Kiss Cookies in any flavor (using extract) or color (using food coloring).
- Peanut Butter Meringue Cookies
- Toasted Oat Meringue Cookies
- Almond Meringue Cookies (often made for Passover).
- Orange Mini Chocolate Chip Meringue cookies.
- No Sugar Meringue Cookies
Check out my chart below the recipe for instructions on how to make these different cookies, and the videos for other ideas, including how to make cookies in different shapes.
How to Make Meringue Cookies: Step by Step PhotosClick thumbnail to view full-size
How do you like this recipe?
Ingredients For Meringue Cookies
- 3 egg whites, (make sure there is no yolk in white)
- 1 cup sugar, (white, powdered or brown)
- 1/8 tea salt, (optional for flavor)
- 1/2 tea. vanilla or other extract, (optional for flavor)
- 1/4 tea. cream of tarter, (optional to help cookies hold shape)
- 3 TB crushed cracker crumbs, (optional to help cookies last longer-omit for gluten-free cookies)
How to Make Easy Meringue Cookies
- Preparation: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line cookie pans with parchment paper or foil, or use silicone sheets. Do not grease. Separate egg whites from yolk (use yolk for another purpose).
- Mix: Put egg whites in a bowl and beat with mixer until peaks form (1-2 minutes).
- Add to Mix: Add sugar slowly and continue to beat until very stiff peaks form. The mixture will not feel grainy when it is fully mixed. For simple recipe skip to step 6.
- Optional: add cream of tarter (or 1/4 tea. lemon or 1/4 tea. vinegar), salt and vanilla (or another extract flavor). Beat until mixed thoroughly.
- Optional: Fold in crackers and any additional ingredients for a cookie that you are using from the chart below.
- Prepare Cookies: Put spoonfuls of batter on lined cookie sheets. The cookies do not rise or spread but will be about the same size you spoon out. You can also use a pastry bag and tip to make "kisses" or other shapes.
- Bake cookies: Bake cookies for about 20 minutes. Cookies are done when very lightly brown on bottom. The tops will be dry and brittle. Bake an extra 5 minutes if they seem too soft in the middle.
- Store: store the cookies in a dry, airtight container at room temperature. They last about a week.
Rainbow Meringue Cookies
5 Tips for Perfect Meringue Cookies
- Make sure there is no oil or grease in your mixing bowl or beaters or the egg whites may not whip well.
- Don't grease the cookie sheets.
- Add sugar gradually.
- Making these cookies on a humid or rainy day may cause them not to turn out as well. You can try baking them at 200 degrees for one hour instead.
- Meringue is ready when you can take a pinch between your fingers and you don't feel the grains of sugar.
Meringue Cookies Dessert
Why Cream of Tarter?
Cream of Tarter can help to stabilize the meringue and help it whip up and hold shape. Cream of Tarter (potassium hydrogen tartrate) is a fine white powder made from grape acid. It is sold in the spices section of the grocery store. Although it helps your cookies to hold together better, some cooks don't think it is necessary with meringues because they bake so firm. If you want, you can also try one of the following suggested substitutes for Cream of Tarter:
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vinegar
Macaron Meringue Cookies
Overnight Meringue Cookies
Another way to bake Meringue cookies is to put them into a preheated oven (300 degrees) and then turn the oven off and leave them there for 5-6 hours or overnight. This is a perfect solution when you've forgotten to make cookies you need the next morning.
One friend of mine used these as Easter Cookies. She made a batch with her kids and put them in the oven the night before Easter. When the kids woke up, she pulled them out of the oven and showed the kids that they were sweet on the outside but hollow on the inside, like the tomb of Christ.
Easy Meringue Cookie Variations
Add to Basic Recipe
1/2-3/4 cup mini or regular chocolate chips
Fold into basic meringue batter.
change to 1/2 cup sugar. Add 1/4 cup Nutella melted in microwave 30 seconds
Pour melted nutella over very stiff batter and fold in just 3 to 4 strokes. Should look swirled. Drop one inch apart on baking sheets.
Mint Chocolate Chip
1 teaspoon peppermint extract, 3/4 cup mini-chocolate chips or mint chocolate chips
Replace vanilla with mint extract. Fold in chocolate chips. Add a couple of drops of green food coloring if you want.
Cinnamon and Nut
3/4 cup chopped nuts, 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Fold nuts and cinnamon into basic batter in just a few strokes. Drop on cooking sheet and sprinkle tops with cinnamon or cinnamon sugar
1 cup chopped pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts; 1 cup chopped dates (may want to chop small), optional: add 1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips
Use Parchment paper or grease the cookie sheets.. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla or rum extract. Fold in dates and nuts. Drop on cookie sheet and bake at 200 degrees for one hour or until dry and set. Cookies will not be brown.
Meringue KIss (any flavor or color)
1 teaspoon extract any flavor, 3-4 drops of food coloring
Use cream of tarter and salt, but not cracker crumbs. Transfer to a pastry bag with large star tip. Pipe 1/2 to 1 inch wide cookies. Bake at 200 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. You can put two together with melted chocolate right before serving.
1/2 cup peanut butter. Optional: chopped peanuts or 1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips
Melt peanut butter slightly in microwave (warm not hot). Pour on stiff batter and fold lightly 4-5 strokes). Fold in chocolate chips if using. Spoon onto pans and sprinkle with chopped peanuts before baking Ioptional). You can also melt chocolate and dip half of baked cookie in chocolate.
Substitute brown sugar for white in recipe. Add 1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats and 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Make batter as usual. Add sugar slowly and beat between adding. Fold in oats and pecans to stiff batter. Bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes.
1 1/2 cups ground almonds, 1 tea. almond extract
Add almond extract instead of vanilla. Fold in almonds carefully in a few strokes. Drop by teaspoons on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until cookies feel firm when you touch them.
Orange Chocolate Chip
1 teaspoon orange extract, t Tb orange zest, 3/4 cup mini-chocolate chips, optional: orange food coloring
Add orange extract instead of vanilla. Add food coloring if desired. Fold in orange zest and mini-chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets. Bake at 205 degrees for 1 hour (may need to leave in oven until completely dry)
M & M Meringue
1 cup regular or mini M&Ms
Fold M&Ms into batter. Spoon onto cookie sheet and put one M&M on top to decorate. I use these often with holiday colors.
Spenda Meringue Cookies
Substitute 1/2 cup Splenda for sugar
Make in the same way as basic recipe. Add cream of tarter, salt and vanilla. Bake for 1 hour in 250 degree oven.
Meringue Cookies Poll
What Kind of Meringue Cookies Would You Like to Try?See results without voting
How to Make Meringue Cookies
Easy Meringue Cookies without additions
|Serving size: 1 cookie (1/36)|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 20 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
Pillsbury Mixes are excellent on their own or when you add other ingredients. See my full review and recipes.
Pillsbury Cookie mixes taste homemade. Use my quick frosting recipe to make fancy sugar cookies with this mix too.
How to write better sentences? Easy tips to improve sentences just by changing the first word with a list of alternative first words included, plus ideas for faster and easier writing.