Morning Glory Muffins Recipe
Healthy Morning Glory Muffins
You can have your cake and eat it too...as a muffin for breakfast!
Depending on the type of muffins you eat, they aren't always the healthiest choice. With this recipe, you can feel better about eating muffins for breakfast. I used whole wheat flour, rolled oats, decrease the sugar by using natural sugars from the fruits. In addition, coconut flakes and cranberries are naturally sweet.
The morning glory muffins are full of tasty ingredients such as grated carrots, nuts, and fruits. I’ve used walnuts here, but pecans would be really good too. You can substitute the cranberries for other dried fruits such as cherries or blueberries.
The grated carrots and apples will provide you with your daily intake of fiber and vitamin A. I also gave it some texture and more fiber by adding old fashioned rolled oats.
Why are they called morning glory muffins?
Just as the name implies, these muffins will turn even the most grumpy non-morning person into a happy, wide awake person. These morning glory muffins are a great way to greet your children in the morning.
Muffins are really just another cake in disguise that we like to eat for breakfast. We all try to convince ourselves if we put some flour and other similar ingredients in a pretty muffin wrapper, then we can feel better about eating it.
That does not that keep me from making a double batch and sharing it with the hubby. They make a wonderful treat for breakfast and I think this morning glory muffin really is healthier than the your typical average muffin.
These morning glory muffins are packed with vegetables, dried fruits, nuts, and some spice. It's high in fiber, low in sugar, and high in protein. The only bad vice is the brown sugar, which has been reduced and substituted with apple sauce.
Go ahead and whip up a batch of these moist and delicious muffins. You won't be disappointed!
Ingredients for Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (Best to use white whole wheat flour)
- 3/4 cups rolled "old fashion" oats
- 1/3 cup flaxseed
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 large grated apple (use sweeter apples such as Gala apples or Fuij apples)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional: pecans, almonds)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional: cranberries, dried cherries, dried blueberries)
A little tip: these muffins get much better with time, so just let them sit for a couple of hours before trying them out, or even better, make them the night before!
Instructions for Morning Glory Muffins
- The first thing you would want to do is to preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-muffin tray with papers. Tip: Spray the insides of the papers slightly with oil spray such as PAM so the muffins don't stick.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Stir in the carrots, apple, coconut, walnuts, and flax seed.
- In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients by beating together the eggs, applesauce, vanilla, and orange juice. Add to the dry ingredient mixture, and stir until evenly moistened. Tip: you don't need to over mix.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin pan, filling almost to the top. Optional: sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon.
- Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, until they rise and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes in their pan on a rack. Enjoy!
More by this Author
Kimberly Snyder's Detox Solution includes her signature recipe for a vegetable and fruit smoothie. The Glowing Green Smoothie will help you clear up your skin and make you feel radiant and glowing from the inside.
If you're looking for easy and delicious juicing recipes to help you lose weight, check out this article. Find out which fruits and vegetables to juice for maximum result.
Wheat is a common cause of dog allergies. If your dog is gluten intolerant, try these 10 absolutely delicious wheat-free dog treats that are easy to make and use only natural and healthy ingredients.