Easy Pizza Muffins
Pefect for your kids and teenagers on the go!
My kids absolutely adore these pizza muffins. My teenager takes them in his lunch almost every day, (*when we have any left)!
Note; I double the recipe and individually wrap and freeze my muffins for easy snacks and lunch items for school.
Over the years I have modified the recipe somewhat to make it healthier. There are several things you can change if you are feeling extra health concious.
- Substituted beef pepperoni sticks for gluten free turkey pepperoni
- Substituted full fat sharp cheddar cheese for low fat sharp, (Old), cheddar cheese.
- Added in the nutrition of red pepper and tomatoes; if your kids don't normally eat these things don't worry about it, they won't even notice its in there!
One major thing that does make a difference, (according to my kids), is using whole grain flour. Whole grain flour vs. regular all purpose makes an enormous difference;The texture of the muffin itself was much more dense when using whole grain.
Note: Hands down my whole family voted = all purpose flour does make a better muffin, so I no longer use whole grain flour.
What you need;
One, (or two if doubling your recipe), Twelve Muffin Tins
All-purpose Flour - 2 cups or 500 mL
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Baking Powder - 1 TBSP
Sea Salt - 1/2 tsp
Dried Basil - 1/2 tsp
Dried Oregano - 1 tsp
Garlic Powder - 1 Tablespoon
Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Large Egg - 1
Milk - 1 cup or 250 mL
Cooking (or olive) Oil - 1/4 cup or 60 mL
Granulated Sugar - 2 Tablespoons
Tomato Paste - 2 Tablespoons
1 Tomato - quartered, seeded, diced; (Roma is best , you can substitute sun-dried tomatoes also; rinsed and chopped)
Green onion (chives) chopped - 1/4 cup
1 small onion - finely chopped
1 Green or Red pepper - De-seeded & finely chopped
Sharp Cheddar Cheese; Grated (or chopped into small squares) - 1 cup or 250 mL
Deli Pepperoni sticks, thinly sliced - 3/4 cup or 175 mL (2 1/2 oz. or 70 g)Can sub-turkey peperoni, any kind will do!
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F 190 degrees C
- Measure the first eight ingredients into a large bowl. Stir until well mixed, make a well in center.
- Using a medium bowl; combine the next four ingredients (egg, milk, oil & sugar), add to well in large bowl.
- Saute tomato, onion, red/green pepper in 1 TBSP olive oil for 3-5 minutes.
- Mix sauteed vegetables in a bowl with chives, (green onion), cheese & pepperoni, add to well in large bowl. Stir until moistened.
- Grease (or Pam spray) your muffin tin.
- Fill muffin cups each 3/4 full.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes* until wooden pick in center of muffin comes out clean
- Let stand in pan for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool.
Note: Individually wrap muffins once cooled and store in freezer in a freezer bag up to three months. Or in the fridge up to five days.