Easy Salad Recipe - South of the Border Mexican Salad
Easy Salad Recipe for Summer or Tex-Mex Themes
This quick and easy salad recipe is healthy and delicious, too! Full of color, it makes a pretty presentation- great for potlucks and picnics. I have also made this as an appetizer or quick, healthy snack and served it with tortilla chips.
Easy Summer Salad Ingredients - Serves 8
- 1 can Mexicorn or regular canned corn
- 2 cans black beans
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Tortilla chips, optional
Tex-Mex Recipe Cookbooks
How to Make My Easy Summer Salad Recipe
Chop the tomato. Peel the avocado and cut it into cubes. Drain the cans
of Mexicorn and beans. Rinse the black beans well.
Put everything except the oil, vinegar, lime juice, hot sauce, cumin, salt and pepper into a salad bowl.
Mix together the oil, vinegar, lime juice, cumin, and hot sauce. Pour over the salad mixture in the bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired. Toss everything together.
It's ready to devour! This makes a great salad to go with any Mexican style meal. It is good with grilled foods, too, especially grilled chicken. It tastes best if refrigerated at least a couple of hours.
Mexican Summer Salad Tips and Variations
- Canned corn works just as well as regular corn, but the Mexicorn gives it added color.
- I have made this easy summer salad without both cucumber and avocado. But it does taste much better if they are both included.
- Canned kidney beans or pinto beans or some sort of combination also are good, but I think that the black beans taste the best.
- Be sure to include the lime juice; it keeps the avocado from turning an unsightly brown.
- If I can't find or don't have any fresh, ripe tomatoes, I substitute a can of diced tomatoes, drained well.
- Experiment with different vinegars- I have also used apple cider vinegar and wine vinegars.
- Sometimes when I like it really spicy, I add a chopped jalapeno pepper.
- I also add a bit of chopped cilantro sometimes, usually when I need to use some up. It gives it a refreshing flavor.
- Also, chopped bell peppers, especially red and yellow, provide even more color and add a nice crunch.
More by this Author
Learn how to cook beans in a pressure cooker. It's really easy and fast! Using a pressure cooker to make beans is a great time saver and keeps your kitchen from heating up when it's hot outside.
Love beans but hate the gas? There are many ways to cook beans with less gas. Check out these methods for cooking beans to prevent gas. They work!
Learn some of the most common, and a few uncommon, very early signs of pregnancy. Watch for these if it's too early to take a pregnancy test.