Salmon Frittata For Two
The Frittata - What Is It?
Frittata - The Italian Omelet
According to Wikipedia's definition, the frittata is basically an Italian omelet. You can keep it pure and simple or add more ingredients to your heart's desire including meats, cheeses, vegetables and even pasta.
The frittata is a wonderful breakfast or brunch dish and I like the frittata because it is a bit easier to master as opposed to the omelet - no flipping involved! You simply mix your ingredients and then allow them to cook right in the pan. It is to my way of thinking very foolproof. Some of the combinations can be quite elegant and the presentation in a cast iron fry pan very pleasing.
This recipe calls for the frittata to be first cooked on top of the stove, then broiled and then cut into wedges and placed on spinach or a bed of lettuce, topped off with salsa and avocado with a little cheese if desired. I would add sour cream to toppings as well or perhaps serve on the side.
I think because this recipe has salmon in it and has a Mexican flair to it that it would also be wonderful served as a light supper.
You Can Purchase Here On Amazon
SIMPLE SALMON FRITTATA FOR TWO
Make sure you use a cast iron frying pan or an oven proof skillet as you will be placing the pan in the oven under the broiler
- 1 teaspoon oil (I prefer olive) or substitute cooking spray
- 1/4 cup diced onion (sweet)
- 1/4 cup corn kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned - drained)
- 1/2 cup of cooked, flaked salmon (substitute 4 ounce can of salmon, drained)
- Tomato 1 diced (drain on paper towels to get excess moisture out)
- 1/4 cup red or yellow bell pepper, chopped (or substitute another 1/4 cup of tomato)
- 1 whole egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute plus 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 cups cleaned raw fresh spinach (substitute lettuce or mixed greens)
- 1/4 cup avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup salsa (homemade pico de gallo works great)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint or basil, chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons cheddar cheese (substitute jack or mozzarella if desired)
- Turn oven on to broil.
- In heavy skillet, heat oil over medium heat (or use cooking spray).
- Cook onion until softened or light in color.
- Add corn, salmon, tomato, and bell pepper.
- Gently stir to combine and continue to cook for about 4 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from stove and place under broiler until light golden brown.
- Cut the frittata into wedges and serve on a bed of spinach topped with avocado slices and salsa.
- Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
How To Make All Kinds Of Frittatas
- How To Make a Frittata (Any Type)
How to make a basic frittata, which can be used with almost any vegetables, cheeses, and/or meats. It is quick to make, is a great vehicle for leftovers, and is easily transportable.
More by this Author
A great recipe for cooking salmon or chicken in parchment paper. It makes a simple dinner turn elegant.
Having discovered the new PaperChef parchment bags at the local supermarket, I couldn't wait to try out parchment bag salmon. I didn't have white wine so I substituted a dash of tequila. This recipe was a snap and...
EMDR therapy is proving very successful in dealing with many anxiety and panic disorders. Learn how you can self-administer EMDR therapy any time and any place.