Easy Salsa Recipe with Fresh Tomatoes
Without a doubt, fresh tomatoes belong in salsa! After all, there's simply not a better dip that highlights the exquisite flavor of the humble tomato. While consumption rates prove that there's no shortage of love for this tomato treat, it's hard to understand why so much of it makes its way to the table in a mass-produced form. Dismiss me all you like, but commercially produced tomatoes blended with a culmination of bland ingredients and a cocktail of preservatives, all to be packaged up and shipped for sale at your local supermarket, hardly shows a lick respect towards the almighty salsa dip! So, it's time to ditch that jar and finally catch up to par! Learn this quick and easy salsa recipe with fresh tomatoes, and you'll be converted.
Fresh Salsa Recipe Rating -
The tastiest salsa is only achieved with the freshest ingredients, something this recipe boasts! Keep in mind that these ingredients are highly variable and can be made with what produce is locally available to you.
- 1.5lbs of Fresh Tomatoes
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Habanero Chili
- 2Tbs Dried & Ground Pasilla Chili
- Small handful of Cilantro
Sure, it's an unconventional salsa, but these five ingredients meld together perfectly to create a mouthwatering balance between sweet and heat! Knowing that there's more preservatives in some commercial salsa than ingredients in this recipe, you can rest assured that the quality of your salsa will be unbeaten by the mass produced contenders.
An Heirloom Tomato Recipe -
Salsa is a true dish of using what's on hand. In this case, I just so happened to have a 1.7 pound heirloom tomato!
Pressed for time? No worries! This quick homemade salsa recipe whips up in less than fifteen minutes.
- Set your oven to its broiler setting and arrange the rack to the top.
- Cut tomatoes in quarters and place skin side down on a steel baking sheet.
- Place under broiler for 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes just begin to develop slight charring.
- In the meantime, mince the garlic and habanero pepper.
- When the tomatoes are ready, work fast to remove all the skins. They peel off much easier while the tomatoes are still warm.
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor or blender and pulse until the desired consistency is reached.
- After blending, the salsa should be fairly cooled down and ready to eat, but a half hour to an hour in the fridge will do wonders by melding the flavors!
Final Word - Salsa Recipe From Scratch
Smokey, sweet and full of heat! This heirloom tomato and habanero pepper salsa recipe is sure to please. With so many variants out there, I'd like to hear all about your favorite homemade salsa! Thanks for reading my easy salsa recipe with fresh tomatoes. Enjoy!
Don't miss these other great from scratch recipes:
More by this Author
The best pizza sauce starts off with the freshest ingredients, not canned. Learn the secrets to an extremely fresh from scratch pizza sauce recipe.
Craving pizza but don't have yeast for dough? Worry no longer, you'll find comfort in this great homemade pizza dough with baking powder.
Container gardening with broccoli is a great way to provide yourself with fresh produce. Learn the basics of growing broccoli in containers.