Easy Christmas Dressing or Stuffing Side Dish Recipe
Mmmmm! An Easy Stuffing Recipe
Delicious Quick and Easy Recipe
It’s that time of year! Collecting easy recipes for Thanksgiving and Christmas side dishes is imperative to a great holiday meal without too much stress. Turkey stuffing or dressing for any bird is a fantastic accompaniment and recipes can be handed down for years. This one is 25 years old and was first made when there was unexpected company for the holiday and I threw together a batch of what I had. We’ve eaten it every year since, and even the little ones like it.
This is a huge recipe that’ll take care of stuffing two large birds. But, a lot of people like to make stuffing cooked outside the turkey, too. Put it in a pot and cook it on it’s own, if that’s what you like. You can also cut the ingredients in half and it will still turn out just as good.
Easy Holiday Side Dish
- 1 Large bowl or pot to mix it all in
- 6 cups Dried bread cubes or pieces
- 3 cups Cubed apples, Any apple will do, but red ones look the best
- 1 cup black raisins, You can use gold raisins, but the black ones look better
- 1 medium size Onion, Diced into 1/4 or 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp Butter, margarine or EVOO, EVOO=Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Turkey or chicken broth
- 1 tsp Rosemary, Fresh or dried
- 1 tsp Sage, Dried
- 1 tsp Black Pepper, Freshly cracked, if possible
- 1 tsp Thyme, Dried
- 1 tsp Salt, (Optional)
Instructions for making this easy side dish
- Saute the onions in the butter (or ingredient you chose) just until they’re translucent.
- While the onions are sautéing, mix all the other ingredients except the broth.
- When the onions are ready, add the broth and stir.
- Mix the broth mixture with the other ingredients and stir well. Mixing with the hands does a better job than utensils, but isn’t necessary.
- Put the dressing in both ends of the turkey, but do not pack it in.
- Finish by using butcher’s string to tie the legs closed in front of the cavity. It helps to truss the cavity closed with a trussing kit you can by at almost any department store.
Stuffing Baked Outside the Bird
Some people like their stuffing dry and some people like it wet. For the remaining stuffing still in the bowl, adjust it to how you like it; if you like it dry, this recipe is ready to use. If you like it wet, add a little more broth to the bowl and mix to make it the desired wetness. Put it in a pot and put on a tight-fitting lid.
You can bake this next to the bird, but the oven might not accommodate the two pans. You can also wait to put the stuffing pot in the oven until the bird comes out. There will be time while the turkey sits and then carving time. The oven’s temperature from the turkey cooking will do just fine. There’s no meat in this recipe so it really just needs to heat and let the flavors meld, so a cooking time of 45 minutes is sufficient.
When done, remove the pot from the oven and take off the lid. It should look crispy and delicious on the top. Serve it like it is or put it in a bowl for serving. Serve while hot.
What do you think? 5 Stars? Me Too! But, be Honest...
More Great Recipe Sources
More by this Author
Snails are a strange bunch, and they're fascinating, too. All snail's life cycles are exactly the same, no matter the size or kind. African Land Snails are the largest in the world.
Vets are so expensive! Luckily, there are a few things we can do ourselves, like relieve pain in our dogs with a kitchen spice.
Looking for an easy recipe for dog treats? This one takes only minutes to prepare and then you bake it, and there are only two ingredients besides water. Take a look.