Delicious and Easy Skillet Lasagna
I love Italian food. As the chief, cook and bottle washer, I constantly search and experiment with recipes that are tasty and easy to prepare. It has been years now since I've made traditional baked lasagna. No longer do you need to cook your pasta noodles before assembling your masterpiece because this simple dish is cooked entirely on the stovetop.
- 1 LB Lean Ground Beef (at least 80%)
- 1/2 LB Bulk Medium Italian Sausage, Remove from casing
- 1 (26 Ounce) Jar Pasta Sauce
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Small - Medium Onion, Diced
- 8 Uncooked Lasagna Noodles, Broken into 2 inch pieces
- 1 (12 Ounce) Container Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley Flakes
- 1 Egg
- 1 (8 Ounce Bag) Shredded Italian Cheese Blend
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil into a 12-inch skillet. Cook the ground beef, sausage and diced onion over medium - high heat for approximately 7 minutes. Stir occasionally until cooked and then drain off the fat.
- Stir in pasta sauce, water and uncooked noodles. Reduce heat to medium - low. Cover the skillet and cook for 20 - 25 minutes, stirring periodically until pasta is almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl mix together the cottage cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Spoon and spread the cottage cheese mixture over the top of the skillet lasagna and sprinkle with the shredded Italian cheese blend,
- Cover and DO NOT STIR. Cook for another 10 - 15 minutes until noodles are tender.
- If you are going to freeze leftovers then I would recommend not cooking the noodles until they are really soft. When you reheat this dish the noodles will cook more at that time.
BE CREATIVE AND USE YOUR IMAGINATION
Cooking at home allows a person the ability to season and add ingredients to their dish, thus making it their own creation. When you build layers of flavor you are erecting the Lego set of food.
Don't be afraid to try different things. For instance, the skillet I used for this recipe is rather large. Therefore, I doubled the ground beef to 2 pounds and increased the sausage to 1 pound. I then upped the pasta sauce to 1 1/4 jars, increased the cottage cheese to 18 ounces and added two eggs.
EXPLORE YOUR OPTIONS
I firmly believe that when cooking, there are no hard and fast rules. If you wish you can add 1/2 green pepper, finely diced, along with 1 clove of minced garlic. Toss in a dash of Italian seasoning or some red pepper flakes if you want to spice the dish up a bit. You may have noticed I didn't use any salt or pepper in this recipe. For me, I find that the salt in the pork sausage and cheeses is sufficient and if I'm sharing my meal with others, I prefer to let them do their own seasoning.
WHEN PERFORMING AS CHEF IN YOUR HOME, YOU CAN EITHER BE AT THE HELM OF A LUXURY CRUISER OR YOU CAN BE MANNING THE OARS OF A ROWBOAT. A BALONEY AND CHEESE SANDWICH IS A ROW BOAT...I PREFER THE LUXURY CRUISER.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A MASTER CHEF TO PREPARE SKILLET LASAGNA
Just because the steps and ingredients are simple and basic doesn't mean you will be compromising quality or taste. This recipe is top shelf and if you, your family and friends like Italian food you will find this recipe to be just as delicious as if you were dining in a world-class restaurant.
Country music star Shania Twain sums up my feelings about being in the kitchen when she was quoted saying, "I like being at home and cooking." Well, I for one, could not have said it any better.
WRITTEN BY: DENNIS L. PAGE
The House Chef
Do you enjoy making home cooked meals?See results without voting
More by this Author
Oven Roasted Chicken with Fennel/Anise, Lemon, Carrots, Celery and Onions makes a Delicious Meal.
An easy step by step guide to creating a delicious chicken, rice and broccoli baked casserole.
Crock pot pork roasts are packed with flavor, as long as the meat is seasoned and seared in a sizzling hot frying pan before placing in the slow cooker. Boneless pork loin is delicious with almost no waste.