Easy Stir-Fried Chinese Broccoli (Gai Lan) Recipe
Chinese broccoli, also known as Gai Lan (Kai Lan) or Chinese kale is one of the most favorite vegetable in Cantonese cuisine. This leafy green has thick stem and glossy leaves with some tiny flower similar to broccoli. Gai lan and broccoli share resemblance in texture and flavor but little bit bitter in taste. This green mostly served in stir-fry dishes or blanched and served with oyster sauce.
Here is easy stir-fried gai lan recipe. I use little bit of pork belly to give the Chinese broccoli nice porky flavor. This is a wonderful vegetable dish with nice ginger and garlicky aroma. Simple, easy but delicious. Gai lan is also a popular dim sum food.
Gai lan is available in Asian grocery. When choosing this broccoli, choose stalks with dark green leaves with some buds. If the stalks is too big and tough, you need to peel the glossy skin then cut the stalks to your desired length. You will need to separate the stalks from the leaves since the stalks will need longer time to cook.
What You Need
Serves 2 - 4
10 stalks gai lan
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
1/4 tsp salt
4 slices ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 oz pork belly
How to Fix
- Wash and rinse gai lan under cold running water. Throw dried, wilted and yellowing leaves. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Cut 1/4 inch from the bottom of the stalks. If the gai lan's diameter is too big or more than 1/2-inch then cut them in half lengthwise. Cut the stalks into 2-inch-long pieces. Cut the leaves to separate from stalks. Pile the leaves separate from the stalks. Stalks are needing more cooking time than the leaves.
- Prepare the pork belly. Slice it into thin slices (about 1/4-inch thick).
- Combine rice wine and soy sauce in a bowl.
- Preheat wok over high heat. Then coat the wok with cooking oil. When hot, throw garlic and ginger. Stir-fry until this aromatic is fragrant and soft. Then stir in pork belly. Cook for about 1 minute or until the some fat is released.
- Throw in gai lan stalks and continue to cook about 2 minutes until they are bright green. Then toss in the leaves. Cook about 1 minute or until the leaves are limp.
- Pour the rice wine mixture into the wok. Sprinkle on salt and sugar.
- Quickly stir the greens to coat with the sauce and seasoning. Continue to cook just about 30 second or until gailan is tender-crisp.
Chinese Broccoli Stir-Fry with Oyster Sauce
More Quick and Easy Chinese Recipe
- Stir-Fried Asparagus with Spicy Sichuan Sauce Recipe. How to Cook Chinese Style Asparagus!
- Chinese Stir-Fried Shrimp With Sichuan Peppercorn Recipe
- Stir-Fried Water Spinach (Ong Choy) With Fermented Bean Curd Recipe. How To Make Vegetarian Stir-Fri
- Easy Stir-Fried Bok Choy with Tofu Recipe. How to make Chinese Stir fry!
- Cooking with Kids - Quick and Easy Chinese Sesame Peanut Noodles Recipe
- Yang Chow Fried Rice Recipe
- Stir-Fried Yu Choy Sum With Oyster Sauce And Garlic Recipe
- Easy Stir-Fried Eggs and Tomatoes Recipe. How to Make Easy Chinese Stir-Fry!
- Stir-Fried Chinese Beef Curry Recipe
- Chinese Stir-Fried Clams With Bean Sauce And Chili. How to Stir-Fry Clams !
- Stir-Fried Garlicky Shanghai Bok Choy. An Easy Vegetarian Dish
- Chinese Stir-Fried Lettuce With Garlic Recipe. A Quick And Easy Chinese Auspicious Dish.
- Stir-Fried Mongolian Lamb Recipe
- Chinese Stir-Fried Bean Sprouts With Bean Sauce Recipe. An Easy Vegetarian Dish
- Chicken With Black Bean Sauce Stir-Fried Recipe
- Stir-Fried Cantonese Beef Chow Fun Recipe
- Chinese Stir-Fried Chicken With Mango Recipe. How To Stir-Fry Mango !
- Stir-Fried Spinach (Yin Choi) With Garlic Recipe. How To Stir-Fry Spinach
More by this Author
Braised Sea Cucumber Flickr by AVLXYZ Sea cucumber is marine dweller echinoderm. It has long body and big worm looking with leathery skin. It's widely consumed by Asian especially people of East Asian countries. It is...
Chinese Stuffed Bitter Melon AVLXY If you grew up eating the bitter melon, you will love this bitter dish. Stuffed bitter melon is common home-cooked dish in many Chinese household. It's made of bitter melon and ground...
Craving for delicious fried chicken wings ?. Here is the most easy to fix Chinese style deep fried chicken wings. Every body will just love it and craving for more.