How to Make Easy Stuffed Eggplant or Aubergine: a Recipe for Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian Food Lovers
Crispy, aromatic Baked Stuffed Aubergine - Delicious!
Easy Baked Stuffed Eggplant
Eggplant is also known as aubergine.
I created this recipe, combining the techniques used for an Italian dish, Melanzane alla Parmigiana , and a Turkish dish, Imam Bayildi (which, roughly translated means the Imam fainted with pleasure!). It is nourishing and filling, and makes a complete, delicious vegetarian meal, or it can be used as a starter or accompaniment to another dish, such as meat.
At the bottom of this page I have added two YouTube videos, one about how to cook Melanzane alla Parmigiana and the other of how to cook Imam Bayildi.
Equipment for making Easy Baked Stuffed Eggplant or Aubergine
- Medium Saucepan
- Cheese Grater
- Kitchen Knife
- Chopping Board
- Baking Dish
You can Rate This Aubergine Recipe Here
Preparation of the Eggplant and Stuffing
Ingredients For Easy Baked Stuffed Eggplant or Aubergine: Assemble the Ingredients for the stuffed eggplant recipe before you start cooking
- 2 Small or 1 Large Eggplants
- 2 Tomatoes (Medium or Large) or 1 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Small Courgette (optional)
- 1 Onion
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 ozs. Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Pinch of Salt
- Mixed Herbs or chopped Marjoram or Coriander Leaves
- 1 clove
- Fresh or crushed Chilli or Chilli Powder to taste
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- NB: Accurate quantities are not particularly important, and you can vary the ingredients according t
Instructions for Quick and Easy Baked Aubergine for Two People
- - Cut the Eggplant in half lengthways - Make criss-cross cuts into the eggplant flesh, taking care not to pierce the skin
- Sprinkle the exposed eggplant flesh with salt and leave for up to 30 minutes (to draw out the bitter juice)
- - Meanwhile peel the onion and chop into fairly small pieces - Fry the onion gently in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until translucent and golden
- Add finely chopped garlic
- Rinse the eggplant in water, squeezing to remove the bitter juice, then with a knife, dig out most of the flesh trying not to the skin, add the flesh to the saucepan, and place the empty skins into a baking dish which should be put in the oven on Gas marked 7 for about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped courgette to the saucepan (optional)
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and add them to the onions, together with a tablespoonful of water, and add salt and the other flavorings; continue cooking for about five minutes until the mixture is soft
- Remove the partially-cooked skins from the oven and fill with the mixture from the saucepan
- Pour a tablespoonful of water over the top and in the dish
- Spread breadcrumbs over the top and cover with grated cheese
- Bake the stuffed eggplant in the oven for about 20 minutes until lightly browned on top.
Amazon's Top Selling Rice Cooker
This egg plant or aubergine dish can be served hot, lukewarm or at room temperature
In the Mediterranean, lukewarm is fine, but then their weather is hot. Personally I prefer it piping hot and straight from the oven.
It's nice served with rice
What's Your Attitude on Food Waste? Look at this picture, then take the poll directly below!
Take this Poll: What's Your Attitude to Food Waste?
If it has passed its "use-by" date, but smells OK, and looks OK, would you eat it or throw it away?See results without voting
Foodie Quiz - How well do you know your food?
Here's a video - Melanzane Alla Parmigiana - Italian Cooking. They're making a bit of a meal of it, but the outcome is good!
And here's one of Imam Bayildi - don't forget "the Imam Fainted"
Here's a Series of Recipes for Beginners on How to Cook Vegetables Properly
- Stuffed Aubergines with Fusilli Pasta and Cheese Recipe | Chef dePaprika
An interesting recipe by Chef de Paprika, using white aubergine and gorgonzola - very tempting
- Learn How to Cook Vegetables - Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower Broccoli
Learn How to Cook Vegetables Properly - Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower and Broccoli: This is Part 3 in my series about basic cooking of common foods. If you have just started living on your own, there may be times when you know roughly how to
- How to Cook Vegetables - Onions
Do you know how to cook onions? I'm sure that lots of people start adult life with very little knowledge of how to cook basic food, so this article about cooking Onions is one of a series of articles I have written to explain what you need to know to
- How to Cook Vegetables - Potatoes, Carrots, Swedes a...
How to Cook Vegetables Properly - Part 2 in my Series - Potatoes, Carrots, Swedes and Parsnips. Many people think cooking is difficult, but actually there are many quick and easy meals. Here's how to cook vegetables carrots, potatoes, swedes and pars
More by this Author
An unusual vegetable, learn what does kholrabi taste like, and how to use kholrabi; with links to various kholrabi recipes, a poll and a video about kholrabi. Try it - you might find you like it.
Oven baked baby tomatoes is a very easy recipe, suitable for an inexperienced cook. Use as an appetizer, spread, sauce, covering for meat or fish, or an omelette filling. Do the Quiz
Sarin is a deadly poison, a toxic nerve agent which works swiftly, and is difficult to detect. It has been used in chemical warfare, and is very much in the news because of events in Syria and Iraq