Easy Tomato Vodka Cream Sauce Recipe You Can Make Ahead and Freeze
Ravioli Swimming in Tomato Vodka Cream Sauce
This recipe calls for a bit of vodka (or white wine.) But, the spirits cook off during preparation and give it a distinct and elegant flavor.
The ingredient list is simple. Shhh...it uses canned tomatoes. But, it also calls for fresh garlic and basil. It is easy to throw this one together at a moment's notice and impress your guests at the same time. Use the tips below to use every last drop of the ingredients and make up batches to freeze.
Some ideas on how to use a tomato-based vodka cream sauce:
- Serve over cheese ravioli (pictured with cheese ravioli)
- Serve over a specially-filled ravioli, such as lobster, asiago cheese or butternut squash
- Serve over any pasta - linguine, penne, twists
- Add your favorite seafood (pictured below with shrimp)
- Add grilled chicken
- Try this any time a recipe calls for a tomato-based sauce!
Buy Gifts for the Chef at Amazon and Save
This recipe yields about 3 cups of tomato vodka cream sauce which serves 4 people.
1 cup crushed tomatoes from a can (see tip below)
1 cup diced tomatoes from a can, drained (see tip below)
1 cup whipping cream (1 pint container)
1/4 cup of vodka or white wine
2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
Fresh basil, approximately 5-7 leaves. Roll and snip.
Dash of red pepper flakes (OPTIONAL)
Tip: Crushed tomatoes generally come in a 28 ounce can. Diced tomatoes can be found in a 12.5 ounce can. To use up all of the crushed tomatoes, assemble the recipe 3 times. You will need to purchase a 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes and 2 cans of diced tomatoes. Of course, you will also need to triple the remaining ingredients too!
Use a canister to keep the ziplock bag steady.
Follow these steps to make the sauce ahead of time and freeze it.
- Add all of the ingredients to an empty ziplock bag. It is helpful to use a canister or bowl to stabilize the bag as you pour ingredients into it, particularly if you are assembling more than one bag.
- Seal the bag tightly, removing excess air, and very gently turn to mix ingredients slightly.
- Place the ziplock bag with the contents inside another ziplock bag for extra protection.
- Print and cut the cooking directions below. Place the cooking directions between the ziplock bags. (See picture below.)
To prepare the sauce for immediate use simply add all of the ingredients to a skillet and follow the cooking instructions below.
Decadent: Tomato Vodka Cream Sauce Served Over Ravioli and Shrimp
Place the ziplock bag inside a second ziplock bag and insert the cooking directions.
Print and Cut Cooking Directions
Tomato Vodka Cream Sauce
Instructions: Thaw in refrigerator for approx. 24 hours. Pour contents of bag in skillet. Bring mixture to a very slow boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring as necessary.
Serving Suggestions: Serve over favorite pasta and seafood or chicken.
Tips and Suggestions
- If you will be serving with ravioli, you can add the ravioli to the sauce to cook during the last few minutes of cook time.
- This sauce freezes well. Consume within 2-3 months of freezing for the very best quality.
- This is a perfect special occasion dish: Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, Birthday, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day...This recipe was highly requested at store.
More Make Ahead and Freeze Recipes
- Make Ahead Salmon in Bourbon and Brown Sugar Marinad...
Make ahead salmon in a bourbon marinade and enjoy a gourmet dinner and all the health benefits that salmon offers at any time. Salmon is high in Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Mediterranean Baked Chicken Recipe with Artichokes a...
This Mediterranean Baked Chicken Recipe has it all: it's delicious, healthy, beautiful and it can be made ahead and frozen. A favorite at our meal assembly store, it is South Beach Phase I compliant and uses boneless, skinless chicken breasts smother
- Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe to Make Ahead and Freeze
After tasting the Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe you'll join the ranks of thousands of our meal assembly kitchen customers that raved about this entrée every month. Make ahead and freeze tips provided on this updated classic comfort food with two types of
- Barbecue Baked Chicken Recipe - BBQ Monterey Style
Barbecue Baked Chicken Recipe Monterey Style is a copycat of a Chili's Restaurant favorite. Our meal assembly customers loved it too because it can be made ahead and frozen for easy preparation that night you want to indulge!
- Alice Springs Chicken Recipe Made Easy
I love this Alice Springs Chicken Recipe because it has all the appeal of the delicious entrée at Outback and it is simple to prepare. It was a favorite at our meal assembly kitchen!
More by this Author
This Mediterranean Baked Chicken Recipe has it all: it's delicious, healthy, beautiful and it can be made ahead and frozen. A favorite at our meal assembly store, it is South Beach Phase I compliant and uses boneless,...
A crab cake, that is in fact mostly crab meat and not a bunch of filler, is a delicacy to savor. This recipe uses saltines to complement the delicate crab with just a hint of Old Bay, onion and celery. It is not...
- 5Egg-free, Dairy-free, Soy-free Convenience Products Available in the Grocery Store: A Food Allergy Resource Guide
This product guide is for anyone who is allergic to egg, dairy and soy (and peanut too!) or for the people who love them and never know what to buy at the grocery store. Scroll down to see the table of...