Easy Vegan Chocolate Frosting Recipe
Vegan cupcakes and vegan cakes can be a real challenge when made with no butter, eggs or milk, but it an be done easily and well with the right ingredients and a good recipe.
The same applies to the frosting or icing put on cupcakes, which are typically made with butter, milk and sometime gelatine (derived from animals).
Once again it is a matter of carefully choosing the right ingredients and a vegan recipe and technique.
Vegan frosting is typically made with dark chocolate, vanilla, almond milk, icing sugar and one of the various varieties of Vegan margarines that are available. You may also want to use cashew cheese instead or margarine.
You can buy non-hydrogenated, omega-3 margarine made from canola and sunflower oils. It is rich in vitamin A, vitamin E, beta carotene and many more healthy nutrients.
Below are three great vegan frosting recipes for you to try, and some simple instructions.
Vegan Chocolate Frosting Recipe with Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 can regular non-reduced coconut milk (light coconut milk versions don't work for frostings)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sweetener to taste (sugar, honey or various sugar substitutes)
Open a can of coconut milk and place it uncovered, and un-stirred in the fridge overnight. This help to thicken the coconut milk and helps thicken the frosting. In the morning or when you want to make the frosting, remove the thick top layer with a spoon and transfer it to a medium size mixing bowl. Add in the cocoa, almond and vanilla extracts and sweetener and mix vigorously until the mixture is smooth and well blended. Use the mixture to add frosting to a cake of cupcakes. Set aside in a refrigerator for 10-20 minutes before serving.
Vegan Chocolate Frosting Recipe with Almond Milk
- 1 cup icing sugar (the type used for icings and frostings)
- 1 cup Vegan, non-hydrogenated margarine
- 5 oz (145 g) high quality semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces and melted in a double boiler or pan suspended over gently simmering water. Let the chocolate cool to room temperature before making the frosting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup good quality almond or soy milk
- pinch of salt
Using a standard hand-held or bench top mixer blend the margarine and icing sugar together using a low speed and mixing for about one minute. Then add the vanilla and beat again on a low setting until well combined. Add the melted chocolate, select a medium speed and mix well for about two minutes. Add the pinch of salt and almond milk and beat on medium speed for an additional minute.
Vegan Chocolate Frosting Recipe with Soy Margarine
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pure cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoons of pure vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup dairy-free soy margarine, or similar Vegan type, softened
- 1/4 cup plain unsweetened soy milk or almond milk or
- 2 cups organic powdered icing sugar
Cream the soy margarine and powdered icing sugar, using an electric hand mixer, in a medium-large mixing bowl. Keep mixing on a low setting until the mixture is combined well and has thickened. Add the cocoa powder, almond milk and vanilla and continue mixing until the frosting is smooth and glassy.
© 2012 Dr. John Anderson
More by this Author
Cashew cheese is a wholesome and healthy delight. The outer layer is crisp, fluffy and dry, the inside creamy and smooth. See three recipes and tips.
Green jackfruit has a unique texture when cooked that resembles pulled pork and chicken makes it popular as a meat substitute. See fabulous recipes.
This article discusses shoulder pain and describes a set of exercises that may help alleviate the symptoms and relieve the pain. Read more here!