Home Ec Peanut Butter Cookies
When I was about nine or ten years old I felt I was ready to start cooking. Oh sure, I made French toast, scrambled eggs, jell-o, and helped my mom with all sorts of things but I was ready to make something special. The recipe my mom found for me to try was this very peanut butter cookie recipe. It is a very old recipe, my grandmother made these cookies in home economics class in the 1940s. I successfully made these peanut butter cookies that day, and have made them hundreds of times since. I have made them with my daughter, and one day soon she will be making them “all by herself.” This isn’t a healthy recipe for sure, but it is easy to keep the ingredients on hand, its quick, and they always turn out delicious.
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Shortening
- 6 Tablespoons Peanut Butter, (I prefer crunchy!)
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- Mix the two sugars with shortening and peanut butter. Add the egg and vanilla. Then add flour, salt and soda and mix well. Then roll them into small balls and flatten with a fork to make hash marks on top. Bake them at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes and let cool about 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Add the egg and vanilla.
- Add flour, salt and soda and mix well--it may seem like the dough will not come together, but it will. Use your hands for easiest mixing.
- Roll them into small balls and flatten with a fork to make hash marks on top.
- Bake them at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
These are sure to be a hit with your family as they have been with mine for years now. I have substituted margarine for the shortening and they tend to make flatter cookies that are more prone to burning, but they taste just as good. This is a great recipe to add chocolate chips or raisins to, just watch them a bit more carefully when cooking to make sure the add-ins aren’t burning.
More by this Author
Starbucks has many options outside what is posted on the menu. Consider some of these fun drink recipes if you want something a little different!
The Coca-Cola Freestyle machine is a new type of coke fountain drink machine being rolled out in many markets. The machine is a new type of soda fountain that dispenses 106 different flavors of Coca-Cola products. This...
A good hush puppy is a great accompaniment to fried fish or chicken and is a hard to beat treat. This simple recipe allows you to recreate a southern classic at home.