Easy and Tasty Vietnamese Beef Stew Recipe (Bo Kho)
Beef stew is popular in the world cuisines. Every cuisines have different style of this comfort food such as nikujaga (Japanese), semur and rendang (Indonesian), mechado (Philippines stoofvlees (Belgian), bo kho (Vietnamese), etc. Bo kho is popular beef stew from Vietnam.
Bo kho is beef simmered in spices and carrots. Commonly is served for breakfast over rice noodles or steamed rice or with French bread. This highly popular stew has a lot of recipe versions. Some call for curry powder, tomato paste, garlic, cinnamon, coriander, annatto seeds and other spices. This will depend on the cook personal preference and cultural background.
This stew is easy to make. If you like spicy food, then you will love bo kho. You can add more vegetables according to your liking such as potato. For long slow simmer beef stew, use least tender cut or low cost beef with some marbling to get flavorful, tender, moist and juicy meat. . Here is my simple Vietnamese beef stew recipe (bo kho). It's perfect to warm up cold rainy day or any occasion
What You Need for Fixing Bo Kho
1 1/4 tbsp five spice powder
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato or crushed tomato
1 1/2 lbs lean beef chuck cubes (1 1/2 - 2-inch)
2 - 3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed, cut in half and smash it with pestle
3 cups water
2 tbsp minced ginger
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 bay leaf
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 star anise
5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch lengths
3 tbsp chopped Vietnamese coriander or Thai basil
How to fix Bo Kho
- In a large bow, mix five spice powder,fish sauce, beef cubes, lemongrass, ginger, brown sugar, and bay leave. Marinate beef cubes in this marinade mixture for 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot until hot. Add in beef cubes and sear on all the sides then remove and place it in a plate. Discard the marinade liquid but reserve the bay leaf and lemongrass. Set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add in onion. Cook about 5 minutes or until soft and aromatic. Then add salt and tomato and stir it to mix it well. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the mixture has turned into a rough paste and fragrant.
- When the mixture has turned into paste, add the beef, lemongrass, star anise, bay leaf and continue to stir and cook for another 5 minutes. This process will allow the flavors and aroma penetrate into the beef. Then add water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cover. Cook in low simmer about 1 hour or until the beef is 75% to 80% tender.
- Add carrots and continue to simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until the beef and carrots are tender. Remove from the heat and transfer to serving dish. Do not forget to remove and discard bay leaf, star anise and lemongrass. Serve it over steamed rice or rice noodles. Garnish with Vietnamese coriander.
Cooking Bo Kho with More Spices
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Vietnamese Glutinous Rice and Black-Eyed Pudding (Che Dau) Recipe
Che Dau Rice is essential at every Asian dinner table. Every Asian meal consists mainly of rice accompanied with savory dishes of meat or sea foods, vegetables and some soups or salads. I am sure you all...
- Easy and Quick Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe (Pho Ga)
Pho Ga Do you love chicken noodle soup and want to try something new than your regular one ? Then try Vietnamese version of chicken noodle soup or Pho Ga. As we know pho is traditional noodle soup from...
- Easy Homemade Vietnamese Chicken Stock Recipe(Nuoc Dung Ga)
Chicken stock Good chicken stock is the soul of any soupy dishes, yet will makes any kind of foods taste. better. This versatile broth is essential in every kitchen. You can buy ready to use stock in cans...
- Vietnamese Chicken with Cellophane Noodle Soup Recipe (Mien Ga)
Mien Ga Mien ga is lighter version of pho ga (chicken pho). Instead of rice noodle, slippery cellophane noodle is used and giving interesting textures, yet very appealing. This soup is very light, fresh,...
Chao Ga Rice is the main staple of Asian diets and commonly served as steamed rice, fried rice, rice cake, or even as desserts such as sticky rice and mango. Another form of popular rice dish in Asia is...
- Vietnamese Grilled Pork with Rice Noodles Recipe (Bun Cha)
Bun Cha Bun cha is popular Vietnamese dish from northern region. This simple dish is combination of a bowl of vermicelli, herbs, greens such as cucumber, carrot and bean sprouts, grilled pork (slices or...
- Vietnamese Sizzling Crepes Recipe (Banh Xeo)
Banh Xeo Banh Xeo is typical Vietnamese food street. This savory crepes are made from rice flour, coconut milk, curry powder or turmeric powder, pork, shrimps and bean sprouts. Some people add steamed mung...
- Easy Vietnamese Spring Rolls Recipe (Cha Gio)
Cha gio made of Vietnamese rice papers Cha gio or minced pork roll is the most popular Vietnamese appetizer. This finger foods often translated as spring rolls because they look like a variant of Chinese...
More by this Author
How to make Vietnamese style Chinese BBQ pork. Free of coloring BBQ pork.
How to prepare Vietnamese chicken noodle (pho ga) at home. It's not as difficult as you think.
Craving for delicious fried chicken wings ?. Here is the most easy to fix Chinese style deep fried chicken wings. Every body will just love it and craving for more.