11 Easy Steps to Make Spicy Chicken Curry
Murg Recipe or Chicken Curry Recipe
Achari murgh, as the name suggests is a flavorful tomato based chicken curry, made by marinating the chicken with achar (Indian pickle). It is a Mughalai preparation, so yoghurt based marination and slow cooking over low heat is advised to achieve the perfect blend of the spicy goodness of the achar along with various other ingredients. The following is a recipe that I have used to make this curry a million times, I only change the kind of pickle I use for marinating and end up with different flavors all the time. It is pretty simple to make, tastes heavenly and that’s why it is one of my favorites. I hope you like it too, do leave your feedback, and any questions that you may have.
Ingredients: For Mrinating 1-6, For Curry 7-16
- 2 cups Yogurt
- 4 boneless breast Chicken – boneless breasts
- 2 tablespoon Any Indian pickle, preferably something spicy, like red chili pickle, mango pickle etc
- 2 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric
- 1tablespoon Salt
- 3 tablespoon Oil
- 1 cup Onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 cups Tomato Puree/Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 2 tablespoon Red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground Mustard
- 6 cups Water
|Serving size: 15 oz|
|Calories from Fat||90|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 10 g||15%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 50 g||100%|
|Cholesterol 110 mg||37%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- Cut chicken into small pieces, wash and place in a vessel.
- Marinade the chicken by combining yogurt, pickle masala, salt, turmeric and garam masala and keep aside for at least 30 minutes, and preferably 3 to 4 hours.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, and add in the cumin and the fenugreek seeds and wait for them to start crackling.
- Add the chopped onions and keep stirring it frequently till you get the raw smell out and the onions turn light golden brown on a high to medium flame.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and mix it well with the onions.
- Add the garam masala, red chili powder, ground mustard and about one cup of water to scrape off any residue stuck at the bottom or on the sides of the pan. At this point you can reduce the flame to medium low to avoid burning the masala.
- Keep stirring this mixture frequently making sure that it does not stick at the bottom and get burnt, when you see this mixture leaving a little bit of oil, it means that its cooked.
- Add the tomato puree or chopped tomatoes and mix it well with the rest of the masala. If you have chopped tomatoes, cover the pan and let the tomatoes cook to a pulp for 5 minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken and mix it with the masala, add 5 cups of water and increase the flame to high.
- When the chicken comes to a boil, add the salt and then cover the pan, and reduce the flame to low, and let it simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice or chapatis/bread.
More by this Author
Best Hydrabadi chicken biryani recipe ever. Step by step instructions how to make this simple mouth watering recipe. Learn more.
Learn how to make tasty, delicious and mouthwatering Chinese Chili Chicken recipe at home.
You have not done it in years, tight? Well, this simple exercise is more valuable than you may imagine. Jump rope exercise offers a great cardiovascular workout!