Easy & Healthy Basic Green Tossed Salad Recipe
Lettuce and other green leafy vegetables are an important part of a healthy diet.
Lettuce, the main ingredient of any basic tossed salad along with all the other leafy green vegetables not only contain vitamin A, C, beta-carotene, and fiber but also calcium, folate, and phytonutrients which make them a great choice for a healhty diet. Besides, salad greens are a lot more cheaper than meat which make it more easier on anyone’s budget. Moreso, green leafy vegetables do not contain cholesterol and they are naturally low in calories and sodium content.
Being one of those several other healthy greens, lettuce is the most commonly consumed leafy vegetable which is always used for tossed salads. A cup serving of fresh lettuce only contains just about seven calories. Yet when it comes to satisfying your appetite, lettuce mixed with other healthy veggies in green tossed salads can make a totally delicious and nutritious side dish.
Cool Salad Spinners:
Here's what you should need to do to make an oh so easy and healthy basic tossed salad:
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 cucumber, diced
- ¼ cup radish, shredded
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 /4 cup extra-virgin olive oil,
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, place lettuce, diced tomatoes and cucumbers, shredded radish, and finely chopped onions in and toss.
- To prepare the basic salad dressing, place olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a small covered container.
- Close the lid securely and shake for a minute or two until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Once sugar and salt are dissolved in the mixture, open the lid of the container and pour dressing all over the green salad.
- Toss all the ingredients well.
Now you’re salad is ready to go! Enjoy!
- Green leafy vegetables such as lettuce are generally cool season crops. And with their short growing periods, farmers and gardeners can get several crops of salad greens in the time it takes other vegetables to reach their final maturity. Since leafy greens may easily grow in a variety of locations, these make them easily available at any local farmer’s markets.
- Lettuce and other types of leafy vegetables can also be easily grown in containers and or planted in rows in anyone’s backyard or garden.
You Might Also Like
- Easy & Healthy Patience Dock Salad Recipe
Patience dock, a garden herb known as Rumex patientia is a European dock of the buckwheat family whose leaves are most commonly used as a vegetable and makes a very healthy vegetarian salad. This coarse...
- Easy Breakfast Recipe: How to Make Homemade Bread
How does it feel to wake up in the morning with the smell of some freshly baked bread lingering inside your home? Great! Isnt it? Theres just something with it that makes you quickly jump out...
- Easy & Heathy Breakfast Recipe: How to Make A Cheesy Mushroom Omelet / Omelette
If you have eggs, you have breakfast. Do you agree? Perhaps you do but wait! Why not turn your eggs into a savory breakfast? Instead of just having the simple hard boiled eggs every morning, why not...
- Easy & Healthy Recipe: How to Make Homemade Thin-Crust Pizza
"Healthy Thin-Crust Pizza"Who doesnt love pizza? I guess everyone loves pizza... and I love pizza, too! It's just probably the most convenient and healthy fast food that can easily satisfy a persons...
- Quick & Easy Dessert Recipe - How to Make the Best Homemade Chocolate Pudding
Do you love chocolate pudding and want to make one that's quick and easy at home? If you do, then this delicious homemade chocolate pudding recipe is just right for you! With this simple, easy-to-make...
- Healing Properties, Health Benefits and Other Medicinal Uses of Lemons
Rediscover the amazing therapeutic properties and health benefits of lemons. Lemons have long been recognized not just for their varied culinary uses but also for their medicinal healing properties. Yet...
Healthy Salads Made Easy:
More by this Author
Lentils, also called masoor which belong to the Lens culinaris specie, is a type of pulse more popularly known as the cousin of the beans. It is a bushy annual plant of the legume family that contain lens-shaped seeds...
Did you know that you can store your left over dough for later use? Think for a while, you’re hungry but you want to bake your own bread or pizza, but you don’t have enough time to make a dough,...
- 24How to Make Asure / Ashure (Noah’s Ark Pudding) - A Dessert Recipe with Facts & Significance to the Turkish Culture
Turkish Asure topped with crushed walnuts, currants, lemon & fresh pomegranate. Erin (firstname.lastname@example.org) Sharing this traditional Turkish dessert called aşure/ashure or Noah's Ark pudding to anyone...