Eggless Cake: How to Bake a Fruit Cake Without Eggs
Maybe you've run out, or perhaps you're allergic, or there could be a shortage—if eggs are not an option, it is possible to bake a cake without.
This eggless recipe is made in a similar way to ginger cake, whereby some of the ingredients are melted in a pan.
Color and texture are also similar, which makes it ideal for the winter months—especially Christmas.
If you want a more versatile cake, replace the cinnamon and nutmeg with 50g (2 oz) of chopped candied peel and a few drops of almond or vanilla extract, and add with the melted ingredients in step five below. Instead of black tea, use rose hip tea for an interesting color and fruitier flavor, or an infusion of fresh lemon balm. You could also increase the quantity of lemon zest or exchange it for orange zest.
- 280ml (*1/2 pint) weak black tea, cold
- 75g (3 oz) butter
- 75g (3 oz) sugar
- 75g (3 oz) dried, mixed fruit
- 1 level teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 280g (10 oz) self-raising flour (add 2 level teaspoons baking powder if using plain or all-purpose flour)
- 3 level teaspoons baking powder
- 1 level teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch salt
*If using US pints, the exact measurement is 0.600475 pints, or just a little over 1/2 pint.
1. Pour the tea into a small pan together with the butter, sugar, dried fruit and lemon zest.
2. Cook over a low flame until the butter is melted, stirring occasionally.
3. Set aside to cool a little.
4. Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt into a mixing bowl.
5. Make a well in the center of the bowl and pour in the tea and fruit etc., then beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is of a sticky, viscous consistency.
6. Pour the mixture into a greased 18cm (7 inch) round cake pan, and place in a moderate oven, 180 C (350 F, Gas Mark 4), for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and turn out onto a cooling rack.
As with most cakes made using the melting method, it's best to leave for at least one day before cutting.
© 2015 Camlo De Ville
More by this Author
Baked Macaroni Cheese with bacon, onion and juicy tomato slices for a simple yet delicious meal that's filling and rich in protein and calcium.
Requiring only a stove top and a deep skillet, Chicken Legs in Beer is easy to prepare and offers a surprising taste of the exotic, suitable even for special occasions.
Use pendulum divination or dowsing to recover mislaid objects, resolve financial difficulties, reveal the gender of an unborn child, find out which foods are good for you, and much more!