2 Easy Homemade Eggnog - Quick Recipes for 2012
Mmmm Homemade Eggnog
What’s the holiday season without eggnog? The kind in the stores is thick and way too sweet. Why not make some from scratch? It’s not as hard as you might think. Here's how to make homemade eggnog.
You need two recipes; one for adults and one for kids and people who prefer it without alcohol. Why not just use one recipe and take out the alcohol in one batch? Because it might not taste as good, those recipes are made to have the alcohol adding flavors to them. You’ll find both in this article.
Eggnog recipes go way, way back to early England in pre-colonial days. There’s several stories as to how it came to be called eggnog. One is that they used to call run grog, and egg ‘n grog became eggnog over time with natural language corruption.
This first recipe is an heirloom recipe that’s delicious and satisfying and they say that the taste always reminds you of the holidays. I agree, whole-heartedly!
If you choose this recipe, it’s recommended to serve food alongside it. Holidays get ruined when someone drinks too much and drives, so don’t let this happen.
Ingredients for Eggnog With Alcohol
- 12 Large Eggs, Separated yolks/whites
- 6 cups Milk
- 2 cups Heavy or Whipping Cream
- 2 cups Whiskey or Bourbon, Your choice, both are good
- 1 cup Brandy, Essential that it's brandy, not another liquor
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar, Less if you like it less sweet, more if you like it sweeter
- 2 tsp. Ground nutmeg, Reserve 1/2 tsp for garnish
- Tools: You Will Need
- 1 Large Bowl or Pot, Large enough to fit all ingredients in
- 2 Medium Bowls or Pots, One for egg whites, the other for the yolks
- 1 Electric Mixer, With beaters attached
- 8 Cups or Glasses, To serve the eggnog in
- 1 Liquid Measuring cup
- 1 set Measuring Spoons
- 1 Wire whisk
- 1 Plastic or rubber spatula
- 1 Ladle, To serve into cups or glasses
Instructions for Eggnog With Alcohol
- In the largest bowl add eggs and sugar and beat them together for ten minutes. This is a long time but it makes the eggnog so creamy in the end.
- Add the liquors just a little bit at a time. Be patient and add them very slowly, whisking thoroughly.
- Put it in the refrigerator for up to six hours, until 30 minutes before you want to serve it.
- Half an hour before serving time, take it out of the fridge and whisk the milk into the mixture until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the nutmeg, saving half a teaspoon for the garnish.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Whip the cream until it is also in the stiff peaks form.
- Carefully mix the whites into the yolks mixture (in the largest bowl) and then carefully add the whipped cream, folding slowly to mix them completely.
- When it’s all stirred together, ladle it into cups or glasses and garnish the top with a dash of the remaining nutmeg.
The Easy Version Without Alcohol
This one is a super easy recipe that everybody likes. You make it the day before and let the flavors meld before serving it.
**TIP** This recipe is also great heated, or steamed like a latte.
- 12 eggs - no need to separate them in this recipe
- 6 cups of milk
- 3 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. of salt
- ½ tsp. of cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp of vanilla
- ½ tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1 very large bowl
- An electric mixer
- A whisk
- Measuring spoons
- Dry measure measuring cup
- 8 cups or glasses
Directions for Eggnog Without Alcohol
- In the large bowl with the mixer, beat the eggs until they get light and airy.
- Using the whisk, thoroughly mix in the sugar, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Mix in the milk.
- Refrigerate for a good 24 hours before serving it. It’s worth the wait.
- Finish with the classic dash of nutmeg.
And, remember, don’t let your guests drink and drive this holiday season!
Does My Recipe Compare to Yours?
More by this Author
Vets are so expensive! Luckily, there are a few things we can do ourselves, like relieve pain in our dogs with a kitchen spice.
Snails are a strange bunch, and they're fascinating, too. All snail's life cycles are exactly the same, no matter the size or kind. African Land Snails are the largest in the world.
So you've been prescribed medicinal marijuana. Do you know how much to use? Dosage is important for getting the best out of life that you can.