Easy Eggnog Recipes - Low-Fat, Fat-Free, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free
A good cup of eggnog is hard to beat in the holiday season, especially when you're free from worry about 1) the fat or sugar content, and 2) the risk of salmonella. This simple, easy recipe alleviates all fears. It is low-fat as is. Check the "Variations" section for sugar-free, fat-free, non-alcoholic, and eggless versions, or scroll down to the bottom for a vegan, dairy-free alternative.
Note: This recipe will come out a lighter color than traditional eggnog, as it includes fewer yolks. If you're feeling nostalgic, add a little yellow food coloring to the mix, along with the vanilla extract, and you'll be good to go.
Holiday Drink Recipes
Low-Fat Eggnog & Variations
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 cups fat free half-and-half
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rum or brandy (optional)
Combine dry ingredients in medium mixing bowl. Add eggs and egg whites and beat together with wire whisk, manual egg beater, or electric mixer, about 4 minutes or until frothy and light. Warm skim milk over low heat in medium saucepan. When hot, gradually add egg mixture, stirring constantly, and continue to heat until consistency begins to change and thicken. Stir in vanilla, remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly before mixing in fat-free half-and-half, then cover and chill. When ready to serve, mix in liquor (if desired) and garnish with fresh ground nutmeg or whole cinnamon sticks.
- Sugar-free: Substitute Splenda for sugar. See also: Eggless.
- Fat-free: Substitute ½ cup Egg Beaters or similar egg substitute for 2 whole eggs, OR 3/4 cup Egg Beaters for both eggs and egg whites.
- Non-alcoholic: Substitute 2 tsp rum extract for liquor, adding at the same time as vanilla extract.
- Eggless: Substitute 1 3.5-oz package instant vanilla pudding (sugar-free, if you like) for sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
Dairy-Free & Vegan Eggnog
- 4 cups unsweetened soy- or rice-milk
- 8 oz extra-firm silken tofu
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup rum or brandy (optional)
Add all ingredients to blender and process until creamy and smooth. Chill and serve sprinkled with nutmeg or garnished with whole cinnamon sticks.
- For low-fat, dairy-free eggnog, use reduced-fat silken tofu and low-fat or fat-free soy- or rice-milk.
- Above variation for non-alcoholic version still applies.
- If making dairy-free eggnog as part of a vegan diet, please note that some sugar and alcohol manufacturers do use animal products as part of their processing. For a list of which manufacturers do and do not use bone-char filters, click here for liquor and here for sugar.
More by this Author
Weight Watching is easy with crockpot recipes for Lasagna, Chicken Stroganoff, Beef Stew, and Tortilla Soup!
This fruit is not only good for you -- it tastes good too. Try these refreshing cocktail recipes, from a Pomegranate Manhattan to Pomegranate Sangria.
Avoid tossing and turning (and prevent cricks in the neck!) by using proper pillow placement to align the spine and muscles for optimal relaxation.