Kid-Friendly, Elegant and Easy Sloppy Joe Recipe
Easy Sloppy Joes
This is a kid-friendly recipe that adults will love too! What takes this sandwich from a plain old sloppy Joe recipe to an elegant sloppy Jane is the touch of red-wine vinegar and serving it on French bread. Really...if you grew up enduring this staple on hamburger buns, but possibly did not thoroughly enjoy your experience, then try this recipe.
Did you know? Nobody knows for sure if there is a "sloppy Joe." Some people say the sandwich was first prepared by Sloppy Joe's Bar in Key West. Others say it is a variation of a loose meat sandwich. In any event, it has been around for some time which is sure to make for some good table talk!
Gather and prepare the following ingredients:
- 4 cups of lean ground beef, cooked and crumbled (approximately 2 pounds raw meat)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup onion, diced ((Uncooked vegetables soften as meat mixture cooks. If desired, soften onions and pepper on stove-top with a Tablespoon of olive oil.)
- 1 cup peppers, diced (see note above)
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced or 2 teaspoons jarred
- 6 French bread rolls, sliced and warmed prior to serving
Place an empty ziplock bag in a cylinder or bowl to stabilize the bag while you add ingredients to it. Add the following ingredients to the empty ziplock bag:
1 1/2 teaspoons
Red wine vinegar
Buy Kid-Friendly Cookbooks Online and Save
2. Stir contents of ziplock bag with spoon.
3. Follow cooking directions below to enjoy this entree now.
4. For portions you would like to freeze, place ziplock bag with meat mixture inside another ziplock bag. Remove any excess air from both bags.
5. Label with cooking directions below.
6. Freeze bag so that it is flat for easy storage and faster defrosting.
Print and Cut Cooking Directions
Easy Sloppy Joes
Instructions: Thaw meat mixture in refrigerator for approx. 24 hours. Warm mixture in skillet over medium-low heat for approx. 10 minutes or until heated through. Warm French bread, if frozen, according to the directions on the package.
Serving Suggestions: Serve over French bread and with your favorite salad.
Tips and Suggestions for Easy Sloppy Joe Recipe
- This mixture also makes a hearty spaghetti sauce.
- Let your kids help assemble this one.
- Boost the nutritional value by adding pureed carrot to the sauce.
- Substitute turkey for ground beef, if desired.
- Serve on whole wheat roles and use low sugar tomato sauce to make this almost South Beach Phase II compliant (it does have little sugar)
- This item freeze really well. But, as usual, we recommend that it be consumed within 2-3 months of freezing for the best quality.
- You can leave out the Worcestershire sauce and the dish is egg-free, soy-free and milk-free. Most French bread is also free of these items. Our family doesn't miss this ingredient at all.
- If you cut the onions and peppers in slivers, then it is easier to remove them for picky eaters...or leave them out altogether.
Buy Gifts for Your Kid Chef Online and Save
Other Make Ahead and Freeze Recipes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe to Make Ahead and Free...
A creamy mashed potato recipe that you can make ahead and is delicious, even after it has been frozen. A favorite at our store. There are tips and suggestions in this article to make the most of this recipe.
- Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe to Make Ahead and Freeze
After tasting the Best Ever Meatloaf Recipe you'll join the ranks of thousands of our meal assembly kitchen customers that raved about this entree every month. Make ahead and freeze tips provided on this updated classic comfort food with two types of
- Mediterranean Baked Chicken Recipe with Artichokes a...
This Mediterranean Baked Chicken Recipe has it all: it's delicious, healthy, beautiful and it can be made ahead and frozen. A favorite at our meal assembly store, it is South Beach Phase I compliant and uses boneless, skinless chicken breasts smother
- Alice Springs Chicken Recipe Made Easy
I love this Alice Springs Chicken Recipe because it has all the appeal of the delicious entree at Outback and it is simple to prepare. It was a favorite at our meal assembly kitchen!
More by this Author
We used the world's best key lime pie recipes in our make ahead recipe store. They have just a few ingredients and are simple to prepare. Yet, they sacrifice nothing in flavor when key lime juice and creamy...
A crab cake, that is in fact mostly crab meat and not a bunch of filler, is a delicacy to savor. This recipe uses saltines to complement the delicate crab with just a hint of Old Bay, onion and celery. It is not...
- 5Egg-free, Dairy-free, Soy-free Convenience Products Available in the Grocery Store: A Food Allergy Resource Guide
This product guide is for anyone who is allergic to egg, dairy and soy (and peanut too!) or for the people who love them and never know what to buy at the grocery store. Scroll down to see the table of...