How to Make Elephant Ears Like They Have at the Fair
Deep Fried Elephant Ears Recipe
Do you remember waiting for the fair or carnival to come to town so you could eat elephant ears? I sure do, and I remember how that deep fried dough tasted when it was served. It was so delicious.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 tablespoons butter-flavored Crisco
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- In a saucepan, bring your milk to a boil stirring often to make sure it does not burn. It should have bubbles around the edges. Cool to lukewarm.
- Add the sugar, shortening, and salt.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast into the warm water. Let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the warm milk mixture to the bowl and and mix well.
- Beat in 2 cups of the flour until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough. Knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough into a greased bowl and allow it to rise until it doubles in size.
- Pinch off egg-sized pieces of the dough and flatten each piece with your hand into elephant ear shapes.
- Deep fry in oil that is 375 ° F until golden brown. As soon as they come out of the deep oil, drain well and sprinkle generously with the below mixture: 1 cup confectioners powdered sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup cinnamon.
I think you will find these elephant ears will be about the best thing you ever tasted. They really are so delicious. So what are you waiting on? Why not make your own delicious elephant ears now?
More by this Author
Here you'll find some of the best Peanut Butter Cookie Recipes ever including a wonderful recipe for 3 ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies. You won't find any better recipes any where for Peanut Butter Cookies. Plus you'll...
Over the years I have tried to become a great biscuit cook also and it has been a long journey to get to the point where I was happy with the biscuits I produced. And at the same time I was trying to come up with a...
If you want to know exactly how to grow a vegetable garden here is all the information you will ever need.